• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (13 Viewers)

Steve

Thanks for the reply to my question on kites over Leeds. I'll keep an eye out for more of them from now on. Looking on google earth there are quite a few parks and open spaces in north east Leeds so there are potential feeding areas within the city bypass.

Regards

Gary Hobson (Notts Birder in exile)

Red Kites have also been much more frequent around Chapel Allerton this Spring; I've had two or three sightings a week recently, and they haven't been high flyovers as in recent years, but have been circling low over the park, the cemetary, and the larger gardens. I'm tempted to put out some offal or roadkill and see if I can tempt them into the garden, but they are communal gardens and I suspect the other residents would object and the fox or crows would snaffle food before the kites got near.

Perhaps surprisingly, I haven't seen them over Roundhay. Has anyone else?

Graham

Red Kites

We regularly get 2 birds over our house [close to the Deer Park pub], a neighbour has had the birds in his garden, jammy swine. There are very few days when I don't see the birds at some point during the day when I'm not at work. Don't see them in the evening very often though.

From her office my wife sees a single bird in the Roundhay Road/ Harehills Lane area. This has increased in frequency in the last 12 months, prior to that she hadn't seen any.

LDV /HES east etc

Had the day off, so after an early start with the dentist(oh..how it hurts!!) had a day locally to see what I could find. Not brilliant, but not bad.Hes east single yellow wag only migrant there.Had day roosting Tawny at Wheldrake, tons of Sedge warblers,1 or 2 Reed.No Garden warblers today and didn't see the BWTeal.At North Duff ,4 yellow wags and a female wheatear.Finally managed Little owl at a new site on my local patch,....coast beckons tomorrow!

Attachments

• littleowl1.jpg
    littleowl1.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 75
  • lrp1.jpg
    lrp1.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 72
  • yellowwagtail4.jpg
    yellowwagtail4.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 64
I didn't make it out today due to a mountain of reports to write but news from those out searching for the Blue-winged Teal at Wheldrake was negative with no further sightings after the original sighting this morning. I'll hopefully get out tomorrow to have a look for it, though not holding out much hope, seems very elusive!!!!

I didn't make it out today due to a mountain of reports to write but news from those out searching for the Blue-winged Teal at Wheldrake was negative with no further sightings after the original sighting this morning. I'll hopefully get out tomorrow to have a look for it, though not holding out much hope, seems very elusive!!!!

we saw the teal this afternoon 3.30, we had just called to see a friend in weldrake who we are doing a survey for a very speciel rodent, and had a visit it was a great sight, down from the first hide, where barn owls roost

Last edited:
we saw the teal this afternoon 3.30, we had just called to see a friend in weldrake who we are doing a survey for a very speciel rodent, and had a visit it was a great sight, down from the first hide, where barn owls roost

Hi eagle golden, did you have it from Tower Hide? Tower Hide is the first hide you get to.

Thanks, Andy

hi sorry i have been writing up a report, yes it was from the first hide to the right about 100yrds down, hope this helps and hope you get to see it, a lovely bird.

hi sorry i have been writing up a report, yes it was from the first hide to the right about 100yrds down, hope this helps and hope you get to see it, a lovely bird.

Hi Eagle Golden. thanks, just to clarify. Was it from the large 'double-decker' hide? This is the tower hide. There is another hide, Riverside Hide which is a lot smaller, this is the second hide. Just a little confused by your comment 'on the right' as the hides are on the left of the path (unless you mean on the right when looking on a map? As in that case it is the first on the right - if you get what I mean??!!).

If you were in the Tower Hide, presumably the bird was on the marsh to the right of it? (in which case it may well have been visible from Riverside hide too)

Just trying to clarify things as no-one has seen it away from the refuge - (not saying you didn't) - but just because it is such a large area it would be good to try and get the location pinned down somewhat. If it is viewable from Tower/Riverside Hides it may potentially be easier to see for everyone!

I know there was a Harrier flushing a lot of ducks yesterday pm so it is highly likely it would have been flushed off the refuge at some point.

Was the Blue-winged Teal with a Wigeon flock or a Gadwall flock (or other?) Again will help when looking for it later

Thanks, Andy

Depending on how well Eagle Golden knows that part of the LDV, description could conceivably fit for Bank Island? If there's any water there

Hi sorry did not get back, you are right i have only been there oince before, but the freind who lives in weldrake took me we walked down a path after leaving car near rd, the hide we went into was raised, but we were looking for barn owl pellets underneath, looking at the hide it was to the left of this there were reeds and a shruby bit the bird was on its own, but we did see a lot of other wildfowl, but the teal was so stricking, my only regret i had left camera in car. hope this helps, i have tried ringing my mate but he is not there other wise he would have gone and had a look for you.

Whilst not exactly front page news, but on a local patch level, Reed & Sedge Warblers are back at Calder Wetlands, must have arrived within the last 4 days as I think I was down there last sunday and no sight or sound then. Also a pair of Whitethroats at the back of Pugneys near the river. Avoided the rest of Pugneys as it was bank holiday hell down there............

Local stuff

spent day working my patch at Redhouse. Found another wheatear near Poppleton;anyone know what its about to eat?

Attachments

• wheatear3.jpg
    wheatear3.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 116
  • wheatear4.jpg
    wheatear4.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 81
  • whitethroat1.jpg
    whitethroat1.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 62
  • sandmartin4.jpg
    sandmartin4.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 58
Not strictly local but got 6 lifers today thanks to Doc - Great & Little Bustard, Rock Sparrow, Calandra Lark, Black-bellied Sandgrouse and Westen Bonelli´s Warbler. Jim best be kicking the backside out of it in Turkey as Im now on 95 species for my trip... Sods law that I left the camera at the apartment today. Also managed Alpine Swift, Bee-eater and very close Bonelli´s Eagle at a stop off and more White-headed Duck plus a few Black-necked Grebe at another. And more Purple Herons/Whiskered Terns/Iberian Yellow Wagtail/Great Reed Warbler etc. Cheers Paul!

Plenty of these singing around Wheldrake Ings this aft, and a few Reed Warblers too, didnt see the teal while i was there though, (3 1/2 hrs)
SedgeWarbler002.jpg

You know when you have one of those days when everything goes wrong with your camera.. wrong settings,shots out of focus,birds not playing ball, naff light etc well today was one of them as you will see...
or was it not the camera just the clown who was using it?

Attachments

• q1.jpg
    q1.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 86
Not strictly local but got 6 lifers today thanks to Doc - Great & Little Bustard, Rock Sparrow, Calandra Lark, Black-bellied Sandgrouse and Westen Bonelli´s Warbler. Jim best be kicking the backside out of it in Turkey as Im now on 95 species for my trip... Sods law that I left the camera at the apartment today. Also managed Alpine Swift, Bee-eater and very close Bonelli´s Eagle at a stop off and more White-headed Duck plus a few Black-necked Grebe at another. And more Purple Herons/Whiskered Terns/Iberian Yellow Wagtail/Great Reed Warbler etc. Cheers Paul!

I wish I was there!!!!!
Paul

Where are the Willow Warblers?

I've just come back from a couple of weeks abroad and have been covering my local patch, Hetchell Woods, Bardsey this last week.
While the woods are full of Blackcaps, (more than ever before:t:) and plenty of Chiffchaffs, there are virtually no Willow Warblers, just one singing bird and another foraging yesterday and no singing birds today!!!! Has anybody else noticed a drop in their numbers this year??

On another note, I would be grateful if some-one could PM me details of where to see Black Grouse in Yorkshire. I have an idea of where to go, but I'm not sure and in these days of spiralling petrol costs, I would prefer not to waste a trip

Cheers

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back