• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Prey Offshore (1 Viewer)

hillie

Some of my colleagues working on a vessel offshore are divided on the id of the attached birds of prey, so your help would be appreciated.
The vessel is working 50 miles east of Aberdeen. The first shows a bird on the helideck, the second, taken from below shows one bird on the helideck and another on the guard rail on the left. The quality is not that good as they were taken with the ships camera through a beat up pair of binos, digiscoping at its basic. Consensus of opinion is divided between Kestrel and Merlin.

Attachments

• Bird-2a.jpg
    Bird-2a.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 239
  • Bird-1.jpg
    Bird-1.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 193
They are clearly one or the other... and with not much to go on I'd say tentatively Merlin on the 1st pic on account to the tail length (though this is guesswork) and Kestrel on the seond pic - on the lightish breast streaking and the rather rufous colour.

I would hazard Kestrel. The breast streaking looks pretty uniform where as on Merlins the streaks tend to become larger and more pronounced as they reach the belly and flanks. The bird also looks a little gingery - the background tone on the underpart is also quite warm - and I cannot make out a supercilium. Admittedly the tail looks quite short and blunt in the silhouette picture, but is that a trick of the camera?

S

Hmmm ... more guesswork - both photo's seem to be of the same bird as it it looks to be perched in the same spot on the superstructure, Kestrel for me.

Cheers,

Andy.

hillie said:
Andy,
If you look at the first photo to the left there is another perched there

:t:

Shows how observant I am! Not much to go on here, the bird appears darker but that might just be down to being in a position where there is less light reaching it, I'd guess it's another Kestrel ...

Anyone know when Scandinavian Kestrels migrate, compared to Merlins (from anywhere bordering the North Sea, I guess)?

What date were the photo's taken hillie?

Andy.

Hi,
On what I can see I would say both birds were kestrels in one photo and the photo with the brown/rufous bird rather then the silhouetted birds is definitely a kestrel.
Jono

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back