• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vulcan 710 (1 Viewer)

Me an' the boys wuz out one night on a planet far away.
When up rides a poke with pointy ears an' a doleful speakin' way.
I bought him a drink an' asked him his name an' listened to what he said:
"My name is Spock an' the man who laughs is likely to wake up dead."

I wiped the smile off my face real fast, an' ordered another round,
When I felt a pinch on my collar-bone an' woke up on the ground.
My god, I sez, that wuz lightnin' fast--where in hell did you learn that trick?
"It's the way we drive the doggies down, out in the Vulcan sticks."

He finished his beer an' he raised a brow, as if to say "Not bad,"
Then he mounted up an' rode away, leavin' me kinda sad.
On his saddle bags, as he rode away, was the brand of the "Enterprise":
I never seen a poke so cool in all the galactic skies!

RD:
Nice poem, I like it. I imagine the Vulcan was available just like the TV show, from
1966-1969, Startrek, 3 short years, was one of my favorites, and now you can get all of the shows, and movies on DVD.

Now this is not the final word on the Vulcan binocular, so maybe someone else knows more.

Jerry

RD:
Now this is not the final word on the Vulcan binocular, so maybe someone else knows more.

Jerry

This is pg. 5 from the Swift '69 Catalog, so you are right about the era.

The Vulcan came as a 7x35 BWCF (Model 718), or as a 6-12x35 Zoom (Model 719). Prices were $142.95 and 189.95 respectively. There was also a Vulcan Model 714 7x35 BCF at $124.50, but there is no picture of it. The first two were Mk II. A letter from HHS accompanied the catalog, which mentions the Vulcans.

I have no info. on a Model 710 Vulcan. Are you sure the number is correct? Model 710 in this catalog is a 6x30 SCF costing $69.50.

Ed :scribe:

Attachments

• Swift '69 Catalog.jpg
    Swift '69 Catalog.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 303
  • HHS letter 1966 bf.jpg
    HHS letter 1966 bf.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Thanks Ed (and Trekkies).

Swift just exploded engineering-wise in 68-70, didn't they? It's all I can do to sort out the earlier post-war stuff. And I can't say I'm drawn to the aesthetics of the newer series.

My source for the model number was an obscure web reference: I assume, from your information above, 710 is a ghost.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back