• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron eyepieces on Kowa scopes (1 Viewer)

sidewayspigeon

Hi,

I've read a couple of posts that suggest that Opticron's HDF zoom fits Kowa 610 series scopes. Does anybody know if the HDF zoom fits Kowa 600 or 660 series scopes? And, more generally, what - if any - other opticron eyepieces fit 610/660 series scopes?

Regards,

Iain

I don't know if it fit the Kowa but I've used mine on an old Bushnell Spacemaster, it's about a 50% improvement on the old Bushnell zoom.

sidewayspigeon said:
Hi,

I've read a couple of posts that suggest that Opticron's HDF zoom fits Kowa 610 series scopes. Does anybody know if the HDF zoom fits Kowa 600 or 660 series scopes? And, more generally, what - if any - other opticron eyepieces fit 610/660 series scopes?

Regards,

Iain
Stuart Smith tried my HDF zoom on his Kowa 610 series scope last week. Optically it works well, it rotates when you try to turn the zoom. , There is a loosness between the scope body and the body of the eyepiece, although the collar screws on tight. All it need a a washer or some other packing between the top of the thread on the scope body and the body of the eyepiece. Its the only Opticron eyepiece I have seen that will fit, except maybe the SDL, but i've not see that. All the other eyepieces screw into the opticron scope via a thread on the outside off the eyepiece, wheras the zoom screws on via a collar fitted to the the eyepiece, so the eyepiece thread is on the inside of the collar.
The HDF zoom fits the same way to the kowa. It looks like it fits the same as the Kowa T mount for SLR's. On the Kowa site it says the 610 & 660 uses the same T mount and the 820 has a different one. http://www.kowa-usa.com/sporting_optics/product_ss_acc.php

Here a photo of my HDF zoom and the HDF 32x on my ES80GA showing the different attachment methods.

HTH

Alan

Attachments

• Img_2369ctn_.jpg
    Img_2369ctn_.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 830
Last edited:
The reason I ask is because I'm considering a lightweight ED Kowa (probably a 600) scope to replace my HR66 non-ED. The HR66 is almost 1300g.

Thanks for the very useful info Alan. It looks like the HDF zoom would fit the 600 series too.

Kind Regards,

Iain

sidewayspigeon said:
The reason I ask is because I'm considering a lightweight ED Kowa (probably a 600) scope to replace my HR66 non-ED. The HR66 is almost 1300g.

Thanks for the very useful info Alan. It looks like the HDF zoom would fit the 600 series too.

Kind Regards,

Iain

My memory's a bit hazy but I think the SDL zoom didn't fit my TS612 for some reason or another but it does fit, along with HDF eyepieces, to the TSN 1/2/3/4.

Note: These e.p.'s I'm on about are the ones for the ES 80 series, I don't know if the other ones fit.

Jaff

opticron 40903m v2 zoom does not fit kowa 662

I have got an Opticron MM2 (HDF eyepieces are compatiable with the MM2) and a Kowa 662 - they are completely different fittings. The Kowa uses a bayonet fitting and the Opticron uses a threaded collar. It is a great pity that there isn't a universal fitting - think how much we could all save.
Both scopes are good. The MM2 is easy to carry - the Kowa 662 has better optics (and cost about the same as the MM2 through ebay)
cotswoldman

sidewayspigeon said:
Hi,

Regards,

Iain

cotswoldman said:
I have got an Opticron MM2 (HDF eyepieces are compatiable with the MM2) and a Kowa 662 - they are completely different fittings. The Kowa uses a bayonet fitting and the Opticron uses a threaded collar. It is a great pity that there isn't a universal fitting - think how much we could all save.
Both scopes are good. The MM2 is easy to carry - the Kowa 662 has better optics (and cost about the same as the MM2 through ebay)
cotswoldman

I think you've missed the trick.
The Opticron HDF e.p.'s can screw onto the part of the Kowa telescope where the plastic covers would screw on, if that is stiil the case with the 662. That's how it works with the HDF zoom on my 612. Haven't tried any fixed HDF e.p.s.

Try it, it might work.
Jaff

Last edited:
I've just purchased a HDF zoom for my Kowa 611 scope and for me, the clarity has vastly improved and I can't wait for the adaptor to arrive so I can try out the digiscoping.

Hello again Di,
As we'll have virtually identical kit don't hesitate to ask me if you need any help with your digiscoping.

Jaff.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back