• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern Sweden: Help with Pipit ID (1 Viewer)

melisande

Could anyone help me ID the pipit(s) in the photos at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/melisande/sets/72157692220176760/

At first I thought they were probably Rock Pipits since we found them in what seemed like ideal breeding habitat for the species (rocky coast). However, I noticed that they have pink legs and a streaked back which would seem to rule out this species. Then, I thought they could be Meadow Pipits, but noticed that the streaking on the flanks is definitely finer than the breast streaks, which would point to Tree Pipit (although there were hardly any trees around). Also, they seem to be missing the Tree Pipit's buffy breast band. So, any ideas as to which pipits these are?

BTW, these photos were taken about a week ago.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I see very dark legs... Rather worn summer plumage Rock Pipit for me. Definitely not the best time of the year to ID pipits!

Meadow Pipit for me. IMG_7165 appears to be showing the extra long hind claws. Flank stripes not fine enough for Tree Pipit. Stripes in general not smudged enough for Rock Pipit.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back