• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please ID Hawk, San Benito, TX USA (1 Viewer)

River Girl

Supporter
United States
This bird was openly in a tree on edge of open lot. Never moved except his head. I thought Red-shouldered but reconsider to juvenile Gray due to dark streaks on breast. I have not found a similar photo in any of my guides. Please id. Thank you

Attachments

• ?Hawk.1.jpg
    ?Hawk.1.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 47
  • ?Hawk.2.jpg
    ?Hawk.2.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 45
  • ?Hawk.3.jpg
    ?Hawk.3.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 47
The thicker dark tail-bars (pic 2) suggest red-shouldered hawk - as does the hint of barred secondaries (pic 1). The long-looking tail and underbody pattern of streaks becoming narrower towards the lower belly are suggestive of Cooper's hawk if perhaps not exactly right.
Have you got any (even bad?) photos showing anything of the upperparts?

The thicker dark tail-bars (pic 2) suggest red-shouldered hawk - as does the hint of barred secondaries (pic 1). The long-looking tail and underbody pattern of streaks becoming narrower towards the lower belly are suggestive of Cooper's hawk if perhaps not exactly right.
Have you got any (even bad?) photos showing anything of the upperparts?

Attachments

• ?Hawk.4.jpg
    ?Hawk.4.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 24
  • ?Hawk.5.jpg
    ?Hawk.5.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 25
  • ?Hawk.6.jpg
    ?Hawk.6.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 25
Now home and have compared guides and web images, my first gut feeling was RSH (couldn’t put my finger on it though), which I now believe has been confirmed.
It does seem, that the OP’s bird does not have a yellow iris?, which it would need in order to be a Cooper’s.

Cheers

Immature Red-shouldered Hawk; just like the ones seen in my area. It is the most accipiter-like of the buteos, but look at those thick feet among other things.

There was something about the head that made me think Red-shouldered and I don't see them very often. Gray hawks do also show up around there, too., though. Thank you all for your efforts in coming to an agreement on this not-so-obvious ID.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back