• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aquilla in Oman (1 Viewer)

buzzard12

Raysut in Oman today, opinions welcome on this Aquilla. In field looked small, short tailed in direct comparison with Steppe Eagle. Contrast between secondaries and primaries striking.

Attachments

• DSC_0234.jpg
    DSC_0234.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC_0236.jpg
    DSC_0236.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC_0237.jpg
    DSC_0237.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 60
looks like juvenile greater spotted eagle albeit a weird one. well, i have seen some variability and those pale proximal parts of the primaries might be overemphasized by bright light and at the same time reflection of the pale desert ground as seen in most raptor pics from the middle east. secondary barring looks a bit on the bold side for GSE...

I think (and I would hope others would confirm) that this should be a hybrid GSE/LSE
GSE should show narrow bars mainly in the center of each flight feather, here they are rather bold something between GSE and LSE well defined at base but stopping well before the tip, but not by fading away but with a kind of weird subterminal bar far away from the tip
Surely Tib's and Dick's comments wold be welcome, I suggest sending these beautiful pictures to Dick Forsman www.dickforsman.com

I think this is a juvenile Steppe Eagle, even if it lacks the usual pale g cov. E.g. extensive barring on all primaries should exclude Spotted Eagles. The obvious pale primary windows also don't match GSE or LSE well. First pic shows distinct long gape.

I think this is a juvenile Steppe Eagle, even if it lacks the usual pale g cov. E.g. extensive barring on all primaries should exclude Spotted Eagles. The obvious pale primary windows also don't match GSE or LSE well. First pic shows distinct long gape.

Ooooooh, That might be very well possible!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back