• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greater Spotted Eagle? Pang Sida NP, Thailand, 7.1.2024 (1 Viewer)

wentmat

Hi all,

I have attached some poor quality photos of what I believe is a Greater Spotted Eagle taken in Pang Side NP in Central Thailand.

Whilst I understand that GSE is uncommon in this area, I believe it is more likely than the alternatives (Black, Steppe or Eastern Imperial).

In the field my impression was of a large Eagle with long, broad wings and relatively short tail, uniformly dark brown underneath but for a white crescent at the base of the primaries, which I believe is diagnostic (and which can just about be made out on these photos).

This would be a first for me, so if it is possible to confirm from these photos then I would be very grateful!

Attachments

• IMG_1658.JPG
    IMG_1658.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1660.JPG
    IMG_1660.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 49
  • GSE(1).JPG
    GSE(1).JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 49
Black eagle: wide hand, narrowed wing-base, pale feet.
Yes agreed, just wanted to say that the 'white crescent at base of the primaries' is also good for the black eagle (perhaps more so due to the contrast with the birds darker colouration). Also it doesn't appear short tailed to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back