• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Poisoning the Gudgeon,will it affect the birds!! (1 Viewer)

christineredgate

Winner of the Copeland Wildlife Photographer of th
An item on the news today,re poisoning the Gudgeon fish in a lake near Kendal.Apparently an organic poison is going to be used to kill off these fish(they are overstocked ).Will the poison harm any birds who may be catching fish in this particular tarn?.

christineredgate said:
An item on the news today,re poisoning the Gudgeon fish in a lake near Kendal.Apparently an organic poison is going to be used to kill off these fish(they are overstocked ).Will the poison harm any birds who may be catching fish in this particular tarn?.

It depends on the poison.

If it's not biodegradable yes it will harm the birds in oneor another.

If it is biodegradable(and this seems to be the case) there is no serious(if at all) threat..

Dimitris

christineredgate said:

I would be very interested to have a link to this news item or more information. What does overstocked mean in this context. This is a native species and as it is small will not be at the top of a food chain. I would be very interested to know who feels that these fish should be killed.

Keith

Dimitris said:

If it is biodegradable(and this seems to be the case) there is no serious(if at all) threat..

Dimitris

Except to the fish!!!!!

Overstocked? I doubt they would actually stock Gudgeon in Kendal unless it is a commercial pleasure fishing lake. So sounds like it is natural population explosion, if so they should leave it to settle of it's own accord. Part of evolution, roll with the punches.

Dimitris said:

Dimitris

The poison is almost certainly Rotenone:

http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/motm/rotenone/piscicideh.html

It's made, IIRR, from a type of African chrysanthemum. It is a "natural" insecticide with fish (and amphibian) killing properties. I think you can even use it in 'organic farming' in some countries in Europe (daft if you ask me... a poison is a poison). If you do the 'rotenoneing' in winter the amphibians and insect larvae are dormant and unaffected. It's used to rid important amphibian ponds of released goldfish and mosquitofish (Gambusia holbrooki) in Europe.

http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/fishfacts/fish/gholbrooki.htm

I don't know about these gudgeon, but ecology doesn't 'roll with the punch' and many amphibians are wiped out by goldfish and mosquitofish being introduced to their ponds.

Ah, I see now. With it being an alien it makes sense. I was thinking of our native Gudgeon which are no trouble at all.

Andrew said:
Ah, I see now. With it being an alien it makes sense. I was thinking of our native Gudgeon which are no trouble at all.

My impression (at least here in Italy) is that things are much more screwed up below the water surface of lakes and rivers than above. In some Italian rivers 20% of the species and 80% of the fish biomass are aliens. Apart from the Topmouth gudgeon, Rainbow Trout, Goldfish and Mosquitofish we've got Wels catfish, Pumpkinseed (Lepomis gibbosus), Nase (Chondrostoma nasus), Common Bream (Abramis brama)... non-native, Grass Carp (Ctenopharyngodon idellus), Silver & Big-head Carps (Hypophtalmichthys molitrix and H. nobilis)... the list goes on and on. Imagine a day out birding where 20% of the birds you saw and 80% by weight were aliens... it'd be like New Zealand.

"An item on the news today,re poisoning the Gudgeon fish in a lake near Kendal."

My solution would be instead of shooting Cormorants and sawbills, catch them, pinion the wings, relocate them to the lake, and watch nature at it's best.

Regards

Malky

Touty said:
In some Italian rivers 20% of the species and 80% of the fish biomass are aliens.

Which shows that while angling has some positive effects environmentally there are also negatives.

But what about the birdlife? Is it likely to cause problems especially as the reort states it is likely for the poison to take weeks to be effective

simon said:
But what about the birdlife? Is it likely to cause problems especially as the reort states it is likely for the poison to take weeks to be effective

No, rotenone (aka Derris on Gardeners' Question Time) is not absorbed effectively if you don't have gills (fish) tracheae (insects) or permeable skin (amphibians). African fishermen use rotenone (which they extract from plants) for fishing and cook and eat he fish immediately without any ill-effects. I guess there might be hungry grebes. Would they have chicks already in the Lake District?

http://www.pan-uk.org/pestnews/Actives/rotenone.htm

No,Touty,I don't think the Grebes have started nesting yet,but I think it is worrying that poison has to be put into a tarn where birds are likely to catch fish.I do know the anglers are complaining.
I do not think that pinioning the Cormorants wings is a good idea!!!.Shame on you Malky!!!.

"I do not think that pinioning the Cormorants wings is a good idea!!!.Shame on you Malky!!!."

Why not. They would just fly away elswhere and get shot. Better a live bird on/in the lake than a dead bird in the tip!!

Regards

Malky, not taking life too seriously!!:flyaway:

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back