• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Time for a second set, what to get? (2 Viewers)

lgguy

I'm using the Vortex Diamondback 8x42 now and am doing some research on a second pair of binoculars. I see a couple possible directions.
1. More magnification, perhaps a 10x42.
2. Smaller size and lower weight. Likely an 8x32
3. Higher performance. I tried the 8x30 Monarch 7 and Opticron Traveler BGA ED at a store and there was a noticeable improvement over cheaper models. I see the Bushnell Legend M 8x42 is a great deal now. Would that be a significant improvement over my Diamondbacks?

If you were starting over what would you get for a 2 binocular collection? I'm thinking I should have gotten a 10x42 for short hikes and car travel and a lightweight 8x32 for longer hikes and trips. I'm normally out mid-day so light isn't a problem. I'd like to stay under $400 for my next set.
Thanks

Abandon hope all ye who go beyond one pair of binoculars it is indeed a slippery slope. I'm almost tempted to give you the same advise I give on tripods just get an RRS or Gitzo and be done. On a more practical note the Zeiss Terra, some of the Vortex bins or maybe Opticon or Blue Sky. There will be compromises whatever you do but get the best you can afford or you'll be looking to upgrade in six months. I'm sorry but sometimes I think wanting a better binocular is a disease that there is no known cure for.
Steve

I would get a Vortex Viper HD in either a 10x42 or 8x32 depending on what you like the best. That is a good move up from your Diamondback's and it is in your price range. Try to get one made in Japan because Vortex is starting to manufacture in China and there could be some quality issues with any change like that.

I agree with Stephen. It's a disease for sure. The first dose is the hook. Since you're likely lost anyway I'd go for a new 10x32 or 42. You can't beat the Blue Sky 8x32 for value however. I had mine out on a long hike today. They are easy to handle and look through binocular. Pretty amazing optically for around $170. I still wonder how good the 10 Blue Sky is.

Solid specs and great reviews on the blue sky, I like the wide field of view. My main concern is weight, they're only a couple ounces lighter than my 8x42 diamondbacks. It doesn't seem worth switching. Is there any downside to the 15-16oz 8x32s? I suppose they may not be as durable but I'm pretty easy on equipment.

Is there any downside to the 15-16oz 8x32s?

I don't think so. However I wear a harness almost every time I take my binoculars out so a few ounces one way or another doesn't have any major effect. I really do not like a neck carry anymore. I believe my harness helps me with a steadier hold also. If you're not doing a harness then you have a good point.

But IMO for a second binocular I'd go for a 10x so you really are giving yourself a different view. That is if you hold 10x steady enough. Not all people do and you also are dealing with a lesser FOV. I have a Meopro 10x32 that is very nice optically, some say equal to more expensive binoculars and it's very well built and has a very good fov for a 10x and a fast smooth focuser that is great for birding or insects but it's built solid as a tank and so weighs more, but again I wear a harness. The point though is I really like 10x over 8x for many types of terrain and long range viewing of raptors and such. I ended up with three 10x I like them so much and if you like small size and small weight you cannot beat (for me) the 10x32 Celestron Trailmaster. It's not quite as good maybe as the Meopro optically but I can hardly tell a difference and it has a slightly narrower fov but even on a neck carry it's very small and lightweight. Plus it's half the cost of the Meopro. I've become a fan of Celestron binoculars. I think they are a great value.

Last edited:
Good tip on the harness, I'll look into picking one up. Do you mean the Celestron trailseeker? I couldn't find a trailmaster, maybe it's been discontinued.

Yes sorry the Trailseeker. Hey I want you to know I got the step up Celestron Granite with ED glass today and I liked the Trailseeker more. Also the Granite uses different eye cups and they give me blackouts that I do not get with the Trailseeker. I'm sending them back and getting another pair of Trailseekers. They also have an 8x32 that is light and tiny at 15.9 oz. Just like the 10x32. They all seem to be $189. I think I'm going to get the 8x32 this time instead of the 42.

Edit: Just ordered the Trailseeker 8x32. See there really is not hope for me. I'm lost in a binocular addicted haze. And the reason I know there is no hope is I don't care much. I just look forward to it getting here. I love the small size binoculars of about 16oz on a harness. It's like nothing is there at all until I reach for it. It's interesting to me that I think the Trailseeker line out performs their Granite line which is their next tier up. I have read other reviews where buyers said the very same thing.

Last edited:
I agree with the others:
  • Abandon all hope ye who enter here
  • Try a harness
Not everyone likes a harness, but I think the Rick Young Outdoors (RYO) harness is fantastic and very compact. It takes the weigh off your neck and distributes it, it keeps the binocular from bouncing around, and it keeps the binocular in a position where I can get it on target more quickly. I would try a harness with your 8x42 before anything else.

Currently my two favorite binoculars are a 9x45 that weighs 33 oz and is just over seven inches tall, and an 8x30 that weighs 16.5 oz and is just under five inches tall. The 9x45 is superior optically, but the 8x30 is so compact that it easily slips into a coat pocket with the RYO harness wrapped around it. Both binoculars are mechanically excellent and a pleasure to use. I am not a fan of 10x or higher magnification unless it is image stabilized. I am a fan of the 5mm exit pupil, so if you feel strongly about 10x I would suggest thinking about a 10x50 binocular with a harness.

BTW, with binoculars the personal equation is very important and you have to see what suits you. I was sure the 9x45 would be too big and heavy, but in actual use the balance is great, the harness distributes the weight, and the view is so terrific, that the 9x45 is my most used binocular for local birding. I usually take it if I am traveling by car on a trip where birding is going to be a major activity. I bring the 8x30 instead when I am birding and bringing a scope, or when I'm on a trip where birding is not the main focus.

Bushnell makes a less expensive version of the Rick Young. I just got one at Amazon and didn't have to pay shipping either. They are a cool little harness. I recommend either style. I like both. Maybe I'll like the regular style in summer when I hike shirtless as the thinner strap might actually cut into me a little on a long hike. Will have to wait and see.

I'm using the Vortex Diamondback 8x42 now and am doing some research on a second pair of binoculars. I see a couple possible directions.
1. More magnification, perhaps a 10x42.
2. Smaller size and lower weight. Likely an 8x32
3. Higher performance. I tried the 8x30 Monarch 7 and Opticron Traveler BGA ED at a store and there was a noticeable improvement over cheaper models. I see the Bushnell Legend M 8x42 is a great deal now. Would that be a significant improvement over my Diamondbacks?

If you were starting over what would you get for a 2 binocular collection? I'm thinking I should have gotten a 10x42 for short hikes and car travel and a lightweight 8x32 for longer hikes and trips. I'm normally out mid-day so light isn't a problem. I'd like to stay under $400 for my next set.
Thanks

Yes. The Legend M's have dielectric prisms and ED glass, plus magnesium barrels. The Legend M's are on-par with Vortex Viper HD's

In my mind a nice stable of glass includes at least one of each: a 10x50/10x56, a 8x42, and a 6/7x32's.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm already lost so sticking with just 1 binocular isn't going to happen. My thought now is to sell/trade my 8x42 diamondbacks for an 8x32 and pick up a 10x42 as well. I'm debating between getting the 8x32 Celestron Trailseeker now or saving a little longer to get the next step up so I'm less tempted to upgrade soon. For the 10x42 I'm leaning towards the bushnell legend M. Any tips on the next step above the trailseeker? The Zeiss Terra ED and GPO Passion ED aren't too much more.

I'm open to buying secondhand. Are there good places to look besides the classified section, ebay, and craigslist?

Last edited:
If by up grade you mean to the next level of Celestron Binocular then I wouldn't myself as I said. However IMO to get more than you get from the Trailseeker you're going to at least spend around $400 and above. This is from a fair amount of experience buying low priced binoculars. Just remember that the 8x32 is going to be small and lite. If that's what you're after then IMO you've picked a winner.

On the Bushnell Legend M I don't own that one but I've just heard a lot of good reviews around here and I have the Bushnell Legend 10x25 and it's the best small compact I've ever owned. It's a great little optic. Best of luck and I'm just giving my best advice. YMMV. (Your Mileage May Very)

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm already lost so sticking with just 1 binocular isn't going to happen. My thought now is to sell/trade my 8x42 diamondbacks for an 8x32 and pick up a 10x42 as well. I'm debating between getting the 8x32 Celestron Trailseeker now or saving a little longer to get the next step up so I'm less tempted to upgrade soon. For the 10x42 I'm leaning towards the bushnell legend M. Any tips on the next step above the trailseeker? The Zeiss Terra ED and GPO Passion ED aren't too much more.

I'm open to buying secondhand. Are there good places to look besides the classified section, ebay, and craigslist?

A secondhand Vortex Viper 8x32 would be nice. The 8x32 Vipers are serious little bins.

George

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back