• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A very nice Hello! to everybody from Munich in Germany (1 Viewer)

Fritz73 said:
Hallo Jas,

Im allgemeinen interessiere ich mich fuer alle Voegel, aber ich hab besonders gern die Kolibris (tagsueber) und die Eulen (nachts). Mein Interesse geht dazu hinaus, dass ich versuche alle Vogelarten die vor meine Kamera kommen, zu fotographieren.

Argentinien ist ein schoenes Land mit tausend verschiedenen Vogelarten. Einfach toll. Von denen hab ich das Glueck, dass ich schon and 760 Arten kenne.

Gruss, Fritz

Hello, Fritz,

If you want to know a bit more about me: I posted "my story" on the block or place (or how is the correct word?) of DESGREENE. I hope it is not unpolite, that I didn't copy the same thing here once more :scribe:

I've learned a lot about Kolibris in USA - but know very little about those in Argentina. Are there the Amazilias? Could you tell me a bit - or tell me, where I can find informations about YOUR Hummers?

You must be a great expert, knowing nearly 800 species of birds!!

wfr
Jas

JasBoehm said:
That's my story "in short". And how did you land here?

Cheers
Jas

Hi Jas,
I think I found Bird Forum by accident when I was searching for bird watching web sites.
I am lucky enough to have some quite good photographic equipment but I am still struggling to improve my bird photography (take a look at my gallery and you will see what I mean :h?: ).

All the best, Des.

JasBoehm said:
Hello, Fritz,

If you want to know a bit more about me: I posted "my story" on the block or place (or how is the correct word?) of DESGREENE. I hope it is not unpolite, that I didn't copy the same thing here once more :scribe:

I've learned a lot about Kolibris in USA - but know very little about those in Argentina. Are there the Amazilias? Could you tell me a bit - or tell me, where I can find informations about YOUR Hummers?

You must be a great expert, knowing nearly 800 species of birds!!

wfr
Jas

Hi Jas,

I´m not yet an expert, only a little bit fanatic with birwatching and photography.

About the Hummingbirds in Argentina, you could find them almost everywhere in Argentina. There in Patagonia, High Andes, Pampas and Atlantic Forest. Yes, we have two Amazilia: Amazilia versicolor and Amazilia chionogaster. The first one could be found in NE Argentina in the Atlantic forest. The second could be found in NW Argentina in the Cloud Forest. Both are beautiful Hummers.

Cheers B :) , Fritz

Fritz73 said:
Hi Jas,

I´m not yet an expert, only a little bit fanatic with birwatching and photography.

About the Hummingbirds in Argentina, you could find them almost everywhere in Argentina. There in Patagonia, High Andes, Pampas and Atlantic Forest. Yes, we have two Amazilia: Amazilia versicolor and Amazilia chionogaster. The first one could be found in NE Argentina in the Atlantic forest. The second could be found in NW Argentina in the Cloud Forest. Both are beautiful Hummers.

Cheers B :) , Fritz

And the hummers in Argentina are not dangered? As I worked on my collection of animals and birds as well naturally, I found, that nearly ALL animals are locally or everywhere less or more dangered. Where I live (Bavaria) even the sparrows (is this correct for "Sperling"?) are dangered!

My next question is: As you are looking for owls - do you live nearby some forests?

howdy!
Jas

JasBoehm said:
Where I live (Bavaria) even the sparrows (is this correct for "Sperling"?) are dangered!

"Sperling" is actually not a species, but a family.
Haussperling is House Sparrow/Passer domesticus, Feldsperling is Eurasian Tree Sparrow/Passer montanus, Weidensperling is Spanish Sparrow/Passer hispaniolensis.

Now which is where endangered?
I heared numbers of Passer Domesticus in the less warm parts of Germany get less and many do not make it into adulthood to procreate, but that this is not needfully a bad sign for ecological ballance. Like the species was very successful for we humans provided an especially desirous habitat for it while beeing worse for almost all other critters than we are now. Now that we at large have learned to propperly sort our waste and to insulate our homes nicely, some cheeky and friendly birds that trieved on our previous behavior instead of suffering of the environmental impact have meager times and might revert back to be as many as before civilisation. In the USA, the non-native Passer Domesticus is still a serious problem for native species and hugely successful. And this is suspiciously proportional to their development in conserving energy and recycling effords I fear....

Botaurus said:
"Sperling" is actually not a species, but a family.
Haussperling is House Sparrow/Passer domesticus, Feldsperling is Eurasian Tree Sparrow/Passer montanus, Weidensperling is Spanish Sparrow/Passer hispaniolensis.

Now which is where endangered?
I heared numbers of Passer Domesticus in the less warm parts of Germany get less and many do not make it into adulthood to procreate, but that this is not needfully a bad sign for ecological ballance. Like the species was very successful for we humans provided an especially desirous habitat for it while beeing worse for almost all other critters than we are now. Now that we at large have learned to propperly sort our waste and to insulate our homes nicely, some cheeky and friendly birds that trieved on our previous behavior instead of suffering of the environmental impact have meager times and might revert back to be as many as before civilisation. In the USA, the non-native Passer Domesticus is still a serious problem for native species and hugely successful. And this is suspiciously proportional to their development in conserving energy and recycling effords I fear....

Mainly I meant our local Passer domesticus und montanus, Sonja. Our "Spatz" has been regarded as very unspecialized and adaptable, so I wonder, what are his problems now. On the other hand: Here are more and more ravens (Aas-/Rabenkrähe) - and this could really disturb the balance in our local bird-world (I did not find an english term for "Vogelwelt" in my dictionary). ---

Once you told me about a book, where you can find the names of birds in English, German and Latin. I cannot find this any more. Could you please tell me again, what a book this is?

wfr
Jas

JasBoehm said:
Mainly I meant our local Passer domesticus und montanus, Sonja. Our "Spatz" has been regarded as very unspecialized and adaptable, so I wonder, what are his problems now. On the other hand: Here are more and more ravens (Aas-/Rabenkrähe) - and this could really disturb the balance in our local bird-world (I did not find an english term for "Vogelwelt" in my dictionary). ---

Adaptable is a relative term... it is true that it won't care one way or the other if it lives on a farm with silo-feed full of insects and grain, at your feeder with nice special birdfood or in the mall parkinglot between the bakery and the kebab seller's booth... but without a human-altered environment the range is naturally narrow and the deathtoll high.

Once you told me about a book, where you can find the names of birds in English, German and Latin. I cannot find this any more. Could you please tell me again, what a book this is?

The website Larry suggests is quite okay, however it it is just lists in taxonomic order.
Ther really great site IMO however is is http://www.bavarianbirds.de/ which you can fully navigate in german and that has a worldwide birdname translator engine.

If you insist about a book -- I don't know if they sell it still anywhere, but the old Peterson Field Guide "Birds of Britain and Europe" (ISBN 0-395-66931-6) has bird names in german, french and dutch as well as latin. However only on the page with the life details, and by the drawn plates it is all english. I started birding in english so for me it is essencial and very important in the field as to not permanently feel like an idiot, but you it might only frustrate when you have a german name and want to quickly look up english. It is a book intended for english speakers on vacation who may use it in conjunction with a Berlitz to ask a local where the target bird is.

Hi Jas,

There a few Passer domesticus in Buenos Aires. If you like, you could take a few from here and turn them back to Europe. Here you could find a healthy population of them in all cities of Argentina. We also have other european birds like the Common Starling.

Cheers, Fritz

Passers

Fritz73 said:
Hi Jas,

There a few Passer domesticus in Buenos Aires. If you like, you could take a few from here and turn them back to Europe. Here you could find a healthy population of them in all cities of Argentina. We also have other european birds like the Common Starling.

Cheers, Fritz
It's amazing, Fritz.
What makes - for Passer domesticus/montanus - the difference between cities in Argentina and in Germany (let's say: in Bavaria)?! You have healthy Passer-populations there - and our populations vanish step by step. It's not the question to bring'em back - the question is: What takes away their basis for surviving HERE?

wfr
Jas

bavarianbirds

Botaurus said:
Adaptable is a relative term... it is true that it won't care one way or the other if it lives on a farm with silo-feed full of insects and grain, at your feeder with nice special birdfood or in the mall parkinglot between the bakery and the kebab seller's booth... but without a human-altered environment the range is naturally narrow and the deathtoll high.

The website Larry suggests is quite okay, however it it is just lists in taxonomic order.
Ther really great site IMO however is is http://www.bavarianbirds.de/ which you can fully navigate in german and that has a worldwide birdname translator engine.

If you insist about a book -- I don't know if they sell it still anywhere, but the old Peterson Field Guide "Birds of Britain and Europe" (ISBN 0-395-66931-6) has bird names in german, french and dutch as well as latin. However only on the page with the life details, and by the drawn plates it is all english. I started birding in english so for me it is essencial and very important in the field as to not permanently feel like an idiot, but you it might only frustrate when you have a german name and want to quickly look up english. It is a book intended for english speakers on vacation who may use it in conjunction with a Berlitz to ask a local where the target bird is.
Thank you for all these informations, Sonja.
You told me already about "bavarianbirds" - somehow i forgot to look at this link. I'll do it now.
But look, meanwhile I also found a good link:
http://www.biologie.uni-hamburg.de/b-online/birds
Here you can choose very simply, if you have an English name and want to find the german or latin name or vice versa, vice versa. (And they work with your "Peterson").

Auf bald!
Jas

Hallo, Sonja,;)

today (Nov.,10.) your Botaurus is shown as "BIRD OF THE DAY" on
http://www.vogelwarte.ch/birds
Cheers!
Jas

Last edited:
birdlist

Larry Lade said:
Hi Jas,

I found this site which may be of interest to you. It gives the German bird name and also the English bird name. Go to this webpage.

http://www.birdlist.org/deutschland.htm

Scroll down the screen and "click" on Wice Bird List.

I hope you find this helpful.

Good Birding!

Many thanks, Larry.
I'll go to this webpage and find out, what they offer.

Bye!
Jas

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back