• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good places for Woodlarks in Dorset (1 Viewer)

felthad

Otis
I would like some tips on looking for woodlarks in Dorset
How early should I start, they become very quiet and inconspicuous after a certain time...so are they shy birds..hard to see?
What sort heath habitat? really open, no gorse or pine?
Went to Beauleigh Station heath but spent too much time early looking at Denny Wood (at other birds), I expect I should have gone first to the open heath.
Is there anywhere closer to Poole area that also good? grid refernce maybe?

Would have thought Arne RSPB should be a good place to start. In my experience, best is regenerating heath with a scatter of very young pine, etc. I don't think they are particulary shy in that they often sit up in the spring (have them breeding on my land and, here, they very often sit on an electric wire that goes through their territory. Do remember though these are schedule 1 species (I think) and disturbance should be avoided.

You could try near Sherford bridge, in Wareham Forest. I've seen birds on the open heath here in the past. SY915925. Can be good for siskin and a regular spot for GG shrike in winter. Woodlarks are best when pesky dog walkers aren't disturbing them.

Thanks to the three of you. Yes must not disturb them if I see them, they sound a bit more numerous in Europe. wish they were here too. Habitat simular to nightjars except younger or less pine.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back