• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Drakensberg area ID help (1 Viewer)

Mountain Hare

I have a few birds that I'm either unsure of the ID or I have no idea!!!! I visited in late October. This is my very first post, so I'm not sure if my photos will even be attached, or the order they'll show up in. Some photos aren't great quality either!

The birds in flight, I think one is African Harrier-Hawk (Gymnogene), but the smaller bird I'm unsure about. This was taken in the Fort Nottingham area.

The other birds were all nearer Winterton. The one I think is possibly a type of eagle, was virtually in my sister's garden!!

Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20161024.jpg
    20161024.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4068.JPG
    IMG_4068.JPG
    283.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_4129.jpg
    IMG_4129.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 2016-10-22 06.41.39.jpg
    2016-10-22 06.41.39.jpg
    936.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG-20161120-WA0003edited.jpg
    IMG-20161120-WA0003edited.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 45
I have a few birds that I'm either unsure of the ID or I have no idea!!!! I visited in late October. This is my very first post, so I'm not sure if my photos will even be attached, or the order they'll show up in. Some photos aren't great quality either!

The birds in flight, I think one is African Harrier-Hawk (Gymnogene), but the smaller bird I'm unsure about. This was taken in the Fort Nottingham area.

The other birds were all nearer Winterton. The one I think is possibly a type of eagle, was virtually in my sister's garden!!

Any ideas?

I think the first may be a Tawny Eagle. The flight pics: on the left, like you said an African Harrier Hawk and on the right, I think a Yellow-billed Kite. The third picture: a Jackal Buzzard. Number 4 and 5 are tricky: my guess is Forest Buzzard.

Regards,
Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back