• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are Black-headed Buntings common on Kefalonia? (1 Viewer)

jmid1372

Hi

About to go to Kefalonia on a two week family holiday and as ever hoping to grab some time to go wandering with the binoculars. Having read reports I know that Kefalonia is not a birding hotspot and was resigned that this holiday would probably be one where no new lifers are encountered.

However I did not appreciate that Black-headed Buntings can be found on the island. This would be a new species for me. Are they common(ish)? Should I bump into them on my travels? I am staying in the Lourdas area.

Cheers

jmid1372

Preying mantis in the hedges when I was there.Also, a peculiar insect on lawns that was extremely hard to tell from a blade of grass (let the kids find that one!) As said, birds were thin on the ground.
Paul

if you really want black headed bunting and can talk the missus into another greek trip another year. i can put you onto them easily in corfu

Obviously a bit late but useful if anyone else visits. On two visits to Kefalonia, staying at Svoronata, I didn't encounter one on the first occasion but on the second (May 2008) I had singing male at 38.105640, 20.518473.

Gi

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back