• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Empid and duck from NJ, USA (1 Viewer)

tom baxter

I think the empid may be a yellow-bellied flycatcher, but this would be a life bird and I am unsure. Edit: On second thought the throat may be too white, and it is probably Trail's

As for the duck, it looked like a black duck, but whats with the huge bill, it almost looks like a shovler bill.

Attachments

• YBFL.jpg
    YBFL.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 49
  • YBFL2.jpg
    YBFL2.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 58
  • YBFL3.jpg
    YBFL3.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 70
  • duck.jpg
    duck.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
the empid can't be a phoebe for a number reasons. To name a few, wing bars are wrong color and too large, bill is yellow, head and back not dark enough.

the empid can't be a phoebe for a number reasons. To name a few, wing bars are wrong color and too large, bill is yellow, head and back not dark enough.

The bill shows all-dark on my monitor and my assumption was that the bird's a juvenile not the darker and plainer adult.

What? No! The Empid is an Alder/Willow Flycatcher (Traill's Flycatcher) and the duck is a mallard! The Empid's barely got an eyering, completely wrong for least, and the shape fits Traill's better. The duck does not have a shoveler bill; I don't know what you guys are seeing. It's a mallard.

What? No! The Empid is an Alder/Willow Flycatcher (Traill's Flycatcher) and the duck is a mallard! The Empid's barely got an eyering, completely wrong for least, and the shape fits Traill's better. The duck does not have a shoveler bill; I don't know what you guys are seeing. It's a mallard.

lol, I can't help but to laugh at this post(in a good way). I don't disagree with you about any of your points though. The duck's bill looked weird to me but I initially listed it as a mallard.

Funnily enough I was going to say Trail's and mallard yesterday, but seeing the number of IDs from good birders suggesting otherwise I restrained myself from commenting!

Adrian,

No offense taken. I just found it funny because its unusual to see myself and the posters above be so off base, especially on the duck. The empid is a little harder than the duck by default, but I think you are correct and I suspected Trail's after a little waffling.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back