• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (2 Viewers)

Dougie's Pond in Ashington.

wheres that exactly?

If I'm not mistaken (I've never been) if you follow Wansbeck Mews as far west as it goes then turn south through what looks like an allotment shantytown on the map (apologies if these are actually houses but I couldn't get streetview up on Google Earth and didn't have time to re-install the plugin) Dougie's Pond is around the end of that road.

Edit: That is shantytown with a small 's' before anyone tells me it isn't called shantytown, never has been, never will be and decides to issue a fatwa.

Only just joined this forum, so looking forward to getting to know you all!

I've only had one Brambling this winter at Dougie's Pond in Ashington.

There seem to be very few, but then there seem to be loads of Yellowhammer and Chaffinches compared to previously (or maybe I am just noticing them more)... and a couple of Reed Bunting in among them this weekend on our housing estate!

There has been a Brambling at Bolam Lake in the finch flock since late November, normally in and around the main car park down to the lake.

Thanks for the info folks!!
Rare Visitor thank for the advise re the N+T Bird Club. Had found the North NBC but never got further than looking at the website - hangs head in shame!!
Gill Osborne have seen the book but wasn't sure how good it was, so its now on my wish list - hope DH finds it soon ;) !! Gill I reckon that a certain TWooton mistook my folks for yours when they went to the opening of his exhibition in NBerwick. We share vv similar names + live a stones throw from one another :t: !!

Thanks for the info folks!!
Rare Visitor thank for the advise re the N+T Bird Club. Had found the North NBC but never got further than looking at the website - hangs head in shame!!
Gill Osborne have seen the book but wasn't sure how good it was, so its now on my wish list - hope DH finds it soon ;) !! Gill I reckon that a certain TWooton mistook my folks for yours when they went to the opening of his exhibition in NBerwick. We share vv similar names + live a stones throw from one another :t: !!

One of the great ways to get to know the sites in Northumberland is via the many excellent blogs kept by local birders. Two i highly recommend are as follows, plenty of links to other sites to explore.

http:
//boulmerbirder.blogspot.com/2012/01/cool.html

http://killybirder.blogspot.com/

Gill I reckon that a certain TWooton mistook my folks for yours when they went to the opening of his exhibition in NBerwick. We share vv similar names + live a stones throw from one another :t: !!

It was a shame I couldn't get to that exhibition :-C Neil had been made redundant at the time (is working again now tho') so we just couldn't afford to drive anywhere :smoke:

Perhaps next time.....or a visit to Orkney one day perhaps? :t:

Thanks for the help + ideas folks!!
Brianr thanks for that idea. There are Doh moments in life, that was one for me; why oh why had I not thought of that? :-O Have had a wee look at the ones you suggested + they are great so followig them + others - Rare Visitor, I now have to find time for these as well!! LOL
Gill, don't think you will need to go as far as Orkney!! Have a feeling ;) that MrW might be back to the area soonish!!

If anyone catches up with this White Stork, it would be good to get some clear indication of whether it is ringed or not. The report from Cresswell yesterday certainly suggested it wasn't but I remember in previous years the ring on the wandering bird was pretty difficult to see.

Last seen at 10:20 southeast over QE2 at Ashington.

If I'm not mistaken (I've never been) if you follow Wansbeck Mews as far west as it goes then turn south through what looks like an allotment shantytown on the map (apologies if these are actually houses but I couldn't get streetview up on Google Earth and didn't have time to re-install the plugin) Dougie's Pond is around the end of that road.

Edit: That is shantytown with a small 's' before anyone tells me it isn't called shantytown, never has been, never will be and decides to issue a fatwa.

Not far off...

For me, I get there (on my bike, from Morpeth) by heading up Wansbeck Road from the junction with Green Lane, and the first turn on the left leads to the back of some houses. Go straight on and follow the path along the southern edge of the allotments to enter the reserve (55.177667,-1.586795 on Google Maps). Despite the place looking occasionally like a junk yard from the amount of rubbish dumped, it's a pretty good spot for garden and woodland birds. Last time I was there, the Brambling was the highlight, but there were good flocks of linnet and a whole list of finch and tit species.

If anyone catches up with this White Stork, it would be good to get some clear indication of whether it is ringed or not. The report from Cresswell yesterday certainly suggested it wasn't but I remember in previous years the ring on the wandering bird was pretty difficult to see.

Last seen at 10:20 southeast over QE2 at Ashington.

Alan,

I can't remember the exact leg the ring is placed on, but it is a very thin metal ring around the foot. We had a bird in December of 2010 which spent a few days around Lumley, Houghton Gate, and Chester-le-Street. No rings were noted, but I guess its impossible to be sure unless you get a really fantastic view. Either way it went straight on my list ;)

Cheers,

Brambling in Northumberland

Seen a couple of posts about Brambling and how scarce they are this year.
I went to Wallington Hall yesterday and found a large flock feeding in leaf litter around the main the car park. First thing I saw when parking the car ;-)

There must have been at least 70 birds. I also saw about 50 later along the path to the walled garden although it could have been part of the same flock.

I had a Marsh Tit, Nuthatches, Sparrowhawk and GS Woodpecker (and a Green Woody heard) from the Wildlife Hide too and 9 Bullfinch in the walled garden itself.

cheers, Andy

Andy
did you see any Red Squirrels at all from the hide? = a few years ago they were abundant but sadly each time I've visited since then there have been less and less...

John

Alan,

I can't remember the exact leg the ring is placed on, but it is a very thin metal ring around the foot. We had a bird in December of 2010 which spent a few days around Lumley, Houghton Gate, and Chester-le-Street. No rings were noted, but I guess its impossible to be sure unless you get a really fantastic view. Either way it went straight on my list ;)

Cheers,

That wass the first thing I thought of. Im not sure but Id be surprised if it was a wild bird, but I'm not an expert.

That wass the first thing I thought of. Im not sure but Id be surprised if it was a wild bird, but I'm not an expert.

Strictly speaking non are escapes as they are free flying bird. They can go where they want, so some appear to like to wander a little bit. Are they really any different to Pheasants? They are captive bred and released as free flying birds, each to their own on the ticking front. :t:

Strictly speaking non are escapes as they are free flying bird. They can go where they want, so some appear to like to wander a little bit. Are they really any different to Pheasants? They are captive bred and released as free flying birds, each to their own on the ticking front. :t:

I personally think its difficult. If its free flying bird its not too different to Pheasant. I didnt tick the Durham bird personally, but when ticking pheasants it kinda changes the idea. Pheasants are self sustaining, and I dont know about storks.

I personally think its difficult. If its free flying bird its not too different to Pheasant. I didnt tick the Durham bird personally, but when ticking pheasants it kinda changes the idea. Pheasants are self sustaining, and I dont know about storks.

Most populations of Pheasants are not self sustaining, many only remain because birds are being released on a regular basis. Which Durham bird did you see? Mine was a bird that was untwitchable

Had a bird a few years ago, driving along A1 and a White stork flew past in Snow. I assumed it was the same bird
That I'd seen reported at the time and assumed that was the bird you
Were talking about?

But on that basis, everything is 'tickable'?! Bar-headed Goose, Wood Duck, Budgie, Hooded Merg, Red-breasted Goose, Eagle Owl, Cockatiel all seen locally 'in the wild' in last few years... All free-flying, despite originally being in captivity at some point in their lives. But like you say, each to their own. No wonder you're nearly on 500 for your UK list (non-BOU, of course...) ;)

As for White Storks, there are a few free flying, wide-ranging resident birds in the north of England, originating from Harewood House (free-flying there since at least spring 1997). They've wandered as far north as Aberdeenshire and south to Devon, usually in early spring. The rings can be difficult to see at times - more so on a flying bird! Odds on that winter White Storks are free flying escapes (as the vast majority are in sub-Saharan Africa), but with a small but increasing number wintering in Europe, you can' be 100% sure (unless you see the ring). It's also interesting that White Storks seem to more more regular in the north of England than in the south-east (eg Kent), where you'd expect genuine overshooting birds to be more frequent. Says a lot really. Always nice to see though, whatever the origins.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back