• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping using binoculars (1 Viewer)

andy101

Andyjjuk
Hi everyone,
I am going to Jersey next month and dont want to lug my field scope around with me and so I have tried digiscoping through my bins.
It works a treat.I have a pair of Opticron 8x 42 TGA WP's.
My question is, how to keep everything steady? I have bought one of those small spongy tripods for my bins but am unsure about the camera.
Has anyone got a better idea or am i best just taking my Fieldscope.
Regards...Andy

andy101 said:
Hi everyone,
I am going to Jersey next month and dont want to lug my field scope around with me and so I have tried digiscoping through my bins.
It works a treat.I have a pair of Opticron 8x 42 TGA WP's.
My question is, how to keep everything steady? I have bought one of those small spongy tripods for my bins but am unsure about the camera.
Has anyone got a better idea or am i best just taking my Fieldscope.
Regards...Andy

Andy,

I made a digibinning adaptor using a plastic cap that fits over the rubber eyepiece of my 10X42 Nikon LX. A nylon hose clamp is glued to that and centers the lens of my Fuji F30. With velcro on a jeweler's loop and on the back of the camera, I can hand-hold the setup by bracing the loop to my eye, holding the camera with right hand, and binoculars with left hand. I can control focus using the magnified view of the camera viewfinder and take pics (in continuous mode) flying birds. Works great! However, I must confess that I'd rather carry a 400mm lens and my digiscoping outfit, so this setup only got limited use abroad. A pic is attached. Good luck!

Jerry

Attachments

• digibinning.jpg
    digibinning.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 233
Digibinning?

I have tried this by looking through one bin lens and holding the cameraphone (2MP) to the other lens. It worked surprisingly well but but lining the camera onto the lens is the difficult bit!

Mark

B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back