• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Using iPad as monitor for DSLR Digiscoping (2 Viewers)

SwannyVancouver

Canada
Hi. I’m new to this forum and to digiscoping with a DSLR.
I just got into DSLR digiscoping a year ago with my Celestron Ultima 100. I bought a used entry level Canon Rebel XT and a t-ring adapter from Celestron. It works okay, but the big drawback of this setup is that the small viewfinder makes it is near impossible to get a decent picture using manual focus. I’ve seen YouTube videos where iPads/iPhones have been used as a live view monitor either tethered directly to a dslr or using wifi. The camera I have now doesn’t have live view on the lcd screen and even if it did, from what I’ve read online, the live view picture on the small lcd screen is not that useful for getting perfect focus.
Has anyone tried using their tablet or smartphone as a live view monitor for digiscoping? Does it help with manual focus? Can you tell me what camera you are using?
I’m not ready to jump into buying a brand new dslr, but I will definitely want to upgrade to something newer. From what I’ve read online, if I want wifi and the ability to use my device as a monitor I’m guessing I will probably need a camera model that is less than 10 years old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back