• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Early birds. (1 Viewer)

Ruth Daniel

Early birds.

We were at our local nature reserve for 8am yesterday morning......we sneaked in the back way over the gate like a pair of kids!!! lol.

The sun was already warm and streaming through the wood and tiny pollen filled shafts of light streamed down to the floor.

Arriving on the edge of the wood and adjacent to a soon to be harvested hay field we were amazed at the number of Meadow Brown butterflies dancing in the sunshine along the perimeter of the wood. Wild purple thistles were the attraction and we watched fascinated as more and more of the butterflies seemed to fly as we walked past.So nice to see after the lack of them so far this year!

All was quiet on the glass like Mere not even any Mallards asking for bread.....their normal Sunday practise! And Heron's and Grebes alike were asleep in various areas around the water.

We sat awhile in the hide now overgrown with nettles and certainly no chance of seeing the Water Rail that was easily viewed from there earlier in the year.

The familiar flash of colour ensured that our visit to the hide wasn't a wasted one as the Kingfisher flew his usual route across the expanse of water towards the distant reeds.

Then a cacophony of noise and a whole family of Jays arrived in the nearby trees,arguing and demanding food from their scruffy and tired looking parents.2 adults with at least 3 juvenilles all wanting that early worm! lol!

So not a great deal of action but a lovely start to the day and a feeling of "glad we'd made the effort" of as we walked off home for our Sunday breakfast.

Hi Ruth,
I read somewhere this is a good time to see Kingfishers, what a treat.
I bet the Jay youngsters were cute to see, awww!
You cant beat an early morning Bird walk to set you up for the day.
Lovely report, thanks Ruth

Evening Ruth, Pie,
What a lovely way with words you have i was totally engrossed and didnt want to stop reading it sounded sublime your description of that early morning walk. I was out Sunday at Brandon Nature reserve near Coventry and you might be right Pie i managed to see two kingfishers but to far away to photograph but good views through the binos.
Take care and catch the light,;)
Nigel.

Beautifully written account, Ruth. So pleased you enjoyed your early morning foray.

Well worth waking up early on a Sunday morning to go on such a lovely sounding walk as you describe, Ruth! The butterflies must have been a joy to see and so many of them! You crept past the Heron and Grebes so as not to wake them, then!o:D How lovely to see a family of Jays..even if they were noisy! I am so pleased for you that you had such a pleasing early morning walk..even though as you say it was quiet there is always something to see isn't there! Delightful and how you related it to us all! Thanks, Ruth.:t:

ps: What did you have for your brekkie?8-P

Hi Ruth.
A short but lovely report. You make it sound like the perfect way to start any day. I'd love to have seen all those Jays; I think they are a cracking bird despite the adverse comments one hears about them. As for Kingfishers; they are just the most beautiful of creatures, and always a real delight to see. Thanks for sharing your walk with us.

Baz.

I'm so glad so many of you came along on our early morning walk,thanks for reading and for your kind comments!o:D
And Pam......it was sausages!!:-O

Hi Ruth,
The sight of a family of Jays would have been a first for me, I've only ever seen two together.
Sausages after a morning walk sounds delightful.
George

Nice report Ruth. I felt as if I was there too. Kingfisher and Jays before breakfast. Just the job, as they say in these parts.

Hi Ruth

I love reading your report. Thank you for sharing with us here Ruth. It brought a smile to my face :-O

It make me think of a sun soaked peaceful nature filled walk with only yourself, and your surroundings in your mind. It is a great way of feeling those thoughts of inner calmness that we all need in our hectic lives.

You are so lucky to see the family of Jays. I have never seen one yet let alone a flock of them :-O

All of those 'sleep filled' birds on your travels. Yes, those Mallards do like their handouts, so it is unusual for them to avoid a snack. ;)

Simply to see butterflies as Meadow Brown's is such a joy to see and I have always noticed that they like to dance around in the sun shafts that are created by gaps within the foilage of the trees throughout any woodland. :-O

Glad to here that your walk so very inspiring for you. :-O

Kathy
x

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back