• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Book Bargains Vol4 (1 Viewer)

Bubbs

The new 'Birds in England' is on Amazon for £28.00..rrp £40.00. All copies are new and from the very reliable Unibooks.

I had a quick browse at my local Borders and it looks a good read.

John.

Things like this convince me never to buy a book when it is first published. Birds in England has only been out a matter of weeks, well months I suppose, and this Amazon price beats Wildsounds' pre-publication offer of £30.
Almost anything I buy is offered at a cheaper price soon after. I have just paid £44 (+£4 p/p and foreign currency charge) for the Birds of South Asia: the full price is £55. I wonder who will be offering it at £40 next month?

Steve

Steve Lister said:
Things like this convince me never to buy a book when it is first published. Birds in England has only been out a matter of weeks, well months I suppose, and this Amazon price beats Wildsounds' pre-publication offer of £30.
Almost anything I buy is offered at a cheaper price soon after. I have just paid £44 (+£4 p/p and foreign currency charge) for the Birds of South Asia: the full price is £55. I wonder who will be offering it at £40 next month?

Steve

Watch this space Steve!..I purchased the full set of BWP, one by one as they were issued, and now they are giving them away (not quite ) same with the condensed version; I purchased that at full price and now it's on sale for just a few pounds.

Little wonder I won't buy anything new anymore.

John.

john barclay said:
Watch this space Steve!..I purchased the full set of BWP, one by one as they were issued, and now they are giving them away (not quite ) same with the condensed version; I purchased that at full price and now it's on sale for just a few pounds.

Little wonder I won't buy anything new anymore.

John.

Could I just bump this up for this evening?

John.

Bargains for North American Readers

Here are two bargains for those of us on the other side of the pond.

Amazon has The Firefly Encyclopedia of Birds for $29.99 normally it is $59.95. I do not have it but I remember it got a positive review in a birding magazine a while back. It also qualifies for free super saving shipping!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007YJ3RU/ref=amb_left-1_128346_1/002-5916474-7727243

They also have the National Geographic Reference Atlas to the Birds of North America. Which is full of map goodness. Originally $35.00 now $15.99

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002X1JRI/ref=bfl_upf//002-5916474-7727243?v=glance

several vols of HBW are down to £80

at least searching fpr these bargains makes waiting for the election results to come in marginally more interesting

New World Warblers is mega cheap!

Tim

Getting back to 'Birds in England', don't forget that if you buy from Amazon itself you will get free post and packing, so it will cost you a straight £40. If you buy from the other suppliers listed on the Amazon website you must add the P&P, which can be quite a bit. I don't know whether Amazon themselves have done anything about the scam which was quite frequently used when they first started listing other suppliers on their site - that was in order to get listed as the cheapest a supplier would mark the price down as marginally lower than the nearest competitor, then make it up considerably through excessive P&P charges. I got stung like this a couple of times. As BIE is a bulky book I suggest you check the added charges before you buy. Having said that, I agree that Unibooks is a reliable company, though don't their books come from the US so you may have to wait some time for delivery?

Alan Hill

Tim Allwood said:
several vols of HBW are down to £80

at least searching fpr these bargains makes waiting for the election results to come in marginally more interesting

New World Warblers is mega cheap!

Tim

Cheers, Tim, and no doubt the HBW set will be as cheap as chips...just as/was BWP. Little wonder the faithful massive who paid full price for BWP became upset at the price reduction. No wonder some of us will never buy a full price book again!

John.

john barclay said:
The new 'Birds in England' is on Amazon for £28.00..rrp £40.00. All copies are new and from the very reliable Unibooks.

I had a quick browse at my local Borders and it looks a good read.

John.

This book is despatched from the UK within 1 day of order. If you choose saver post - 2/3 - days the total order is £32. Still a big saving and brand new....and a good read!

Uni Books are very good.

John.

alanhill said:
Getting back to 'Birds in England', don't forget that if you buy from Amazon itself you will get free post and packing, so it will cost you a straight £40. If you buy from the other suppliers listed on the Amazon website you must add the P&P, which can be quite a bit. I don't know whether Amazon themselves have done anything about the scam which was quite frequently used when they first started listing other suppliers on their site - that was in order to get listed as the cheapest a supplier would mark the price down as marginally lower than the nearest competitor, then make it up considerably through excessive P&P charges. I got stung like this a couple of times. As BIE is a bulky book I suggest you check the added charges before you buy. Having said that, I agree that Unibooks is a reliable company, though don't their books come from the US so you may have to wait some time for delivery?

Alan Hill

Postage on books bought through Amazon Marketplace is £2.75 within the U.K..

Just got A guide to the parrots of the world (Juniper) from Amazon Marketplace for £29.95 - this one is less easy to find at a reduced price than many of the rest in the Helm series. Ordered yesterday, arrived today.

Yes, my fears about mark-ups in the Amazon marketplace were indeed unfounded. I ordered Birds in England from Unibooks4u and it came in 48 hours and cost me £31.04 total (p&p was £2.75). Very impressed and thanks to those who recommended both the book and the supplier.

Alan Hill

Rob Smallwood said:
John,

My wife has asked that you stop this thread now before she has to cut up my Visa card!!

Well tell your wife that The Birds Of England has been further reduced on Amazon. I noticed this at 0615 this morning....now that is sad!

This book has had some rave reviews recently.

Shouldn't I be on some commision, or at least a freeeeeebie? Seriously, we all like a bargain.

John.

Also note that Shorebirds of North America can be bought for around £12.50 if you get the Princeton Press (US) version rather that the Helm one newly published. That's about a 50% saving.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back