• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Studies with a Camera, Frank.M.Chapman (1 Viewer)

Simon Wates

I feel lucky ;) I've just been given a first edition (1900) of this fascinating book. Its in reasonable condition, complete and the text and photos are in fine condition. I wondered if it had any rarity value. I don't think its worth much money, and anyway its a treasure to keep.

As far as I can ascertain, its the first work on bird photography ever...?

As you said, not an expensive book to aquire and still being copied.

An Amazon entry for a modern reprint reads 'This work has been selected by scholars as being culturally important, and is part of the knowledge base of civilization as we know it'.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bird-Stu...362015?hash=item1f0516bb5f:g:qzgAAOSwOzddwIaJ

I can't see any edition from 1900, earliest are 1903 so perhaps a gen 1st ed is worth more but I only had a quick look.

Last edited:
Thanks Andy, its definitely a 1900 edition - it shows no other dates. I think I will have to read it - just looking at bits of the text it is an insight into birdlife in the time it was written. The photos are remarkable, considering they must have been taken pre-1900.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back