• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carrion or Raven? (1 Viewer)

GeorgeMac

Sutherland
I *think* this is a carrion crow, but I've never seen a crow wading in surf before, so thought perhaps it might be a raven. Seems a bit small for a raven. They will be learning to swim next I guess.

Attachments

• carrionbeach.jpg
    carrionbeach.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 213
I *think* this is a carrion crow, but I've never seen a crow wading in surf before, so thought perhaps it might be a raven. Seems a bit small for a raven. They will be learning to swim next I guess.

It almost looks like it has been shaking out sand from its feathers: you can see sand grains on top of the foam just behind the bird...
MJB

I would have said Carrion Crow as it looks a bit too neat to be a Raven, angle tricky for bill and tail but I'm no expert!

I think a carrion crow. The top of the bill on raven slopes at a very shallow angle for about the first half before then noticeably curving downwards. On carrion crow whole of top of bill appears more or less evenly curved (as here). Nasal feathering on raven usually extends to just over half the bill length, on carrion crow a bit less (ditto)—but this obviously affected by feather damage etc.

The bill does look large on the second pic but I still think it's CC. Look at the thumbnail in the post and imagine seeing this at distance in the field.....just doesn't have the presence of Raven IMO

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back