• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SW Florida - odd crow-ish bird (1 Viewer)

Fandango739

GeoBird
United States
Seen yesterday in the company of Fish Crow and Boat-tailed Grackle. Perhaps slightly larger than the grackles, but much smaller than the Fish Crows. The tail seemed boxy like the crows, not wedge-ish like the grackles. Note the grey ring around the neck.

My first thought was that it was a juvenal crow with ruff fluff around the neck, but the noticed that the area was actually smooth - so full feathers.
My next thought is this might be a House Crow hybrid from the one crow, about a hundred miles north of here. But the bird was so small - tiny for a crow, so I have a hard time believing that this bird is from two parent crows.

So, what do you think?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20230712_090218.jpg
    20230712_090218.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 20230712_090220.jpg
    20230712_090220.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 39
Here in the U.K. I frequently see juvenile crows with poorly developed or missing feathers, or indeed white feathers. By the time they moult, the replacements are normal. The explanation I have heard is that it is the result of a dietary deficiency while in the nest. Your photos are certainly of crows (American or Fish; not easy photographically at the best of times), and seem to have a similar problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back