• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Immature Accipiter nisus/gentilis NE.London? (1 Viewer)

KenM

Comments appreciated on this Immature bird taken September last year, I've lightened all five images to hopefully maximise on under-part detail.

Cheers

Attachments

• P2040519.jpeg   Imm.Accip.1..jpeg
    P2040519.jpeg Imm.Accip.1..jpeg
    83 KB · Views: 125
  • P2040522.jpeg    Imm.Accip.4..jpg
    P2040522.jpeg Imm.Accip.4..jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 52
  • P2040518.jpeg   Imm.Accip.3..jpg
    P2040518.jpeg Imm.Accip.3..jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 87
  • P2040532.jpeg   Imm.Accip.6..jpg
    P2040532.jpeg Imm.Accip.6..jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 104
  • P2040535.jpeg   Accip away 1..jpeg
    P2040535.jpeg Accip away 1..jpeg
    66.1 KB · Views: 116
Just out of interest, how does one reconcile skinny hips with the last image (contortionist springs to mind)....also the “projecting” head on image 2. and rounded tail...not classical Sprawk features? To my eye it looks odd...and I do get both albeit mostly Sprawk with Gos occasionally during the late fall/Winter. Unfortunately the light was very bright (mid-day) and it was quite high up....

Cheers

Can't believe you put this one up Ken. You have taken some absolutely stonking Gos shots at times, yet you thought there was a chance with this one, which is such a 'classic' Sparrowhawk!?

RB

Can't believe you put this one up Ken. You have taken some absolutely stonking Gos shots at times, yet you thought there was a chance with this one, which is such a 'classic' Sparrowhawk!?

RB

It’s a funny old thing Rother, being exposed to Sprawks on an almost daily basis I find the only “classic” is the ability to alter shape, therein lies the challenge. Occasionally I have GREAT difficulty ascribing them to gender status, normally foreshortening away and leaving me undecided...and that’s with 37 years of experience with the species from window ledge to almost infinity...no arrogance there!

Thankfully the eyes are still sharp and with that, the one thing I’ve discovered with Accipiters is the ability to “contort” like no other, thus I always question the odd “shaped” bird and hopefully will always continue to do so.

As I hope my stills are instructive...and not just for me but to others also, that don’t have the exposure.
Virtually all the Gos that I’ve seen have been low down bulky buggers, just off the ground or at canopy height through the trees...a now you see it..and now you don’t....no prizes there!

The subject bird being somewhat aloft out of a very bright blue, looked to my eye a little odd, thus I kept it in abeyance for a “rainy day”....lest I forget thanks for the compliment R! coming from a youngster...it’s well appreciated. I did wonder If it would “spark” you to the table! Good to know that your still out there TTFN :t:

Ken,
nothing suggests anything other than a 'Spar' here mate, no idea why you think it looks odd.

Protruding head and rounded tail for starters, and fwiw I've found the odd not dissimilar shaped immature individual on the web labelled Northern Gos.

Andy, female Sprawks can appear long-tailed or shorter dependent on the posture as you know, unsure when they moult their tails as this might be an explanation for the rounded tail ends on this bird...appears not to be a 1st year...perhaps those better informed might be able to age it?

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back