• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Immature gull (probably 2. calendar year) in Sardinia (eastern coast, close to Golfo di Orosei) (1 Viewer)

Hello,
I continue to learn IDing gulls and found this immature one in the images from a trip to Sardinia in 2019. Images were taken mid April. I think the bird is in its second calendar year, based on the color and molt status (interpreted it as having still feathers from first plumage in the primaries). My guess would be Yellow-legged Gull (Larus michahellis), judging from the bright 'window' in the inner primaries which is but not so bright as it should be for European herring gull (Larus argentatus).
I'd be grateful for a check of the ID and especially for further hints on details by which this bird (and immature gulls in general) can be safely identified.

Best
Paul

Attachments

• gull-4875.jpg
    gull-4875.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
  • gull-4876.jpg
    gull-4876.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 36

Users who are viewing this thread

Back