• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ATM connection cable (1 Viewer)

psilo

I am having problems with intermitant internet connection. My modem usually has 2 green lights on that shows it is working ok but recently an icon appears that says atm network connection cable unplugged and the modem shows one red light for about 20 seconds then it goes off and 2 green lights come back on and i am ok again.
Does anyone know what is causing this and how can i put it right?

Could you post the model number of your modem or a photo and makers name, Annette?

I might be able to track down some details on what might be the problem here but don't hold out too much hope without a lot of interaction from you, indicating which lights are what colour and in what order, etc - most of those LED lights just confuse me, I don't know which colour is which!

Cheers,

Andy.

Andrew Rowlands said:
Could you post the model number of your modem or a photo and makers name, Annette?

I might be able to track down some details on what might be the problem here but don't hold out too much hope without a lot of interaction from you, indicating which lights are what colour and in what order, etc - most of those LED lights just confuse me, I don't know which colour is which!

Cheers,

Andy.

Andy it is a cooperjet modem. 800 usb allied data speedline and it is the adsl light that goes red. (on the right} the usb light of the left stays green.
thanks

Annette

May sound a simple one, but have you used the microfilter ? I found that folk who didnt often had dropouts from ADSL modems.

I dont even know what the micro filter is?
The problem seems to have started when i upgraded to IE 7.6.
Now IE wont give me a internet connection at all whilst firefox and opera work fine?

psilo said:
I dont even know what the micro filter is?
The problem seems to have started when i upgraded to IE 7.6.
Now IE wont give me a internet connection at all whilst firefox and opera work fine?
You do know what a microfilter is - it's the splitter with one cable giong to your 'phone and the other going to your ADSL modem ... just follow your modem cable back a ways, you'll see it!

Hmm, after an upgrade, eh? Sounds like two different issues here - have you checked that your firewall is allowing the new IE to access the 'net?

and if I see it then what?
I upgraded the new IE a week ago and i my problems seemed to ocur around then but tonight my IE wont work at all but the other browsers will.

OK found the denied access on my firewall so IE is back up.

have found a red cross on the network monitor rules for the ip, have asked to allow to see what happens

Ok, can you try to rule out RFI - link in Post #4?

Reroute the modem cables as far away from any power bricks etc. as you can - anything flourescent too.

Youve seen where the cables are. Theres nothing like that near them and there is no way I could reroute them anyway. The only flourescent thing nearby is the 4foot fish tank next to my pc. They have been side by side sine June so why would the problem start now?
Nope the red cross wasnt the cause :(

A lot of electrical and electronic devices do degenerate slowly with time - let's dismiss that line of working for now.

Do you have a spare microfilter you could swap? Most, if not all, modems come supplied with two - while you're there, ensure all your connections, plugs, sockets, etc. are well connected.

Andrew Rowlands said:
A lot of electrical and electronic devices do degenerate slowly with time - let's dismiss that line of working for now.

Do you have a spare microfilter you could swap? Most, if not all, modems come supplied with two - while you're there, ensure all your connections, plugs, sockets, etc. are well connected.

I have no idea. All the modem stuff was done by richard. Ive certainly not seen one. Ill have to ask when next i see him. Everything is connected as far as i can see but the modem cable is somewhat worn with wires poking through and does get alot of wear as it is often walked on.

Annette, if your seeing the ADSL light turn red then the likely cause is that your modem is losing sync with the local exchange, who is your ISP and have you or are you aware if you've you've been migrated onto the DSLMax product with offers higher bandwidth. If so losing sync is not uncommon on the product and your ISP should be able to have BT or whoever your DSL supplier is tweak the line to stop it happening. Ironically before DSL Max when we all had only 500Kbps, 1000Kbps or 2000Kbps loss of sync was an infrequent occurance, since we have the opportunity to go to 8Mbps these problems are far more frequent that we may like. As the USB light stays green the connection to your PC would appear okay. Another thing worth checking is the phone line especially as the weather had turned towards winter, if you can hear noise on the line or theres no dial tone when the modem loses sync then report it to your telephony provider.
BTW not heard of the modem type your using, believe me if I say that some will work better than others on the same telephone line.

Additional. the cable in your modem should be a standard RJ11 to RJ11 which is very common on most modems, if youv've got an old dial modem around the chances are it'll be the same
Regards
Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back