• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Current Super Zoom Advice (1 Viewer)

Right Lane

I'm stuck! I'm newly-retired and not in a position to buy several cameras in order to find the one that I'm looking for. I want a super-zoom point-and-shoot with Wi-Fi capability. In addition, of course, I'm looking for the highest quality photos possible within rougly $350. I'd appreciate any thoughts. Here's my short list:

Canon SX60
Canon SX530
Fujifilm HS50EXR
Nikon P600
Nikon P610

I am certainly open to other suggestions. Thanks ... RL

Last edited:
Hi again RL

While you're waiting for some input to your thread, you could start your research by looking at some images in the Gallery taken with the various camera: this is the result searching for SX60, and seeing what results they get.

To look for the others, click on the Gallery tab above, then click on Search. Type in the camera model in the Keywords field.

I hope this helps.

Amazon is your friend. Pick your favorite, try it and if it does not please, send it back for the next one.

There are plenty of reviews on sites such as http://www.dpreview.com/ or http://www.cameralabs.com/ that dissect these cameras and highlight their pros and cons. They are all just astonishing performers for the price.
My $0.02 is that the SX530 is too hard to aim at full zoom, because it has no viewfinder, just the LCD screen on the back. It clearly is not aimed at birders.
The Fuji is the only weather sealed camera in your list, which may be a factor for you.
There is lots of forum comment on the SX60 and the two Nikons (which are basically the same except for electronics tweaks).

Hi again RL

I have the Fujifilm HS50EXR and am really happy with it. I'm not a photographer though... I'm a birder who likes to take pictures of what I see, but get some really good results (at least I'm pleased with them;)). It will do far more than I am capable of understanding.

Click on my name beside this post, scroll to the bottom of the drop-down and click on "View this user's Gallery". The latest pictures I've uploaded are my experiments using Shutter Priority (but I didn't really understand what I was doing), I've moved on from that now and have it set to Sports Mode and multi-frame, which seems to work really well for moving birds.

Of course, you may be really good at the techy side of things and could do wonders with full Manual - which is beyond me!

As Etudiant says, don't get a camera that doesn't have a view finder.... your cheek will act as a bit of extra stability when using, especially zooming.

Greatly depends on your criteria for a good photo, the amount of post-processing you're willing to do, the range you need, etc.

I switched from digiscoping (all too often the best photos are animals out at 40+m distance) to a superzoom, the SX60 specifically. Check out my gallery for photos, and they are only getting better as I learn more about post-processing and more about good camera settings.

And unlike digiscoping, I'm not tied to heavy gear and inability to shoot at short range as needed. What freedom!

I haven't been disappointed for this price point and the physical limitations of sensor, body, and glass size.

I now have the SX60, an external flash, and a Better Beamer to support my long-range photography habit. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back