• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First serious birding camera advice (budget €2000 - 3000) (1 Viewer)

The OM1 is top of the line, while the G9 probably would be a mid-level today. G9 was considered higher on the totem pole when it came out, but has fallen a bit behind the top.

I actually use an even cheaper camera (G85) which I would today consider below mid level. I hope to move to the OM1 before too long. I use that with the pana 100-400, and I do not have any problems carrying that around.

Niels

Cheers Niels. It looks to me like the weight of the lens and body combined is about 50% again on top of the weight of the P950. That's nothing really when you consider the P950 feels like carrying a tin of beans around. What initially peaked my curiosity is someone who bought a mirrorless camera and lens, and I noticed that he seemed to be carrying it around like it was no weight at all. So, I had a read of an article which mentioned how light these cameras are. That's a big thing for me due to the way I take pictures and I do a lot of walking. The decision is pretty much made for me, but I'll go to a shop and just have a feel of them to make sure. The trick from there is when to buy. I don't want to be getting used to another camera at the moment as a lot of the birds are either just back or coming back, 'think I'll leave it 'til July but do my research and so on in the meantime in terms of which of the mirrorless cameras are best for my camera habits/bird watching activities.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers Niels. It looks to me like the weight of the lens and body combined is about 50% again on top of the weight of the P950. That's nothing really when you consider the P950 feels like carrying a tin of beans around. What initially peaked my curiosity is someone who bought a mirrorless camera and lens, and I noticed that he seemed to be carrying it around like it was no weight at all. So, I had a read of an article which mentioned how light these cameras are. That's a big thing for me due to the way I take pictures and I do a lot of walking. The decision is pretty much made for me, but I'll go to a shop and just have a feel of them to make sure. The trick from there is when to buy. I don't want to be getting used to another camera at the moment as a lot of the birds are either just back or coming back, 'think I'll leave it 'til July but do my research and so on in the meantime in terms of which of the mirrorless cameras are best for my camera habits/bird watching activities.

Thanks for the info.
You are most welcome. If you go to 43 Rumors – Panasonic and Olympus Digital Camera News and go back some pages you will see some videos about shooting birds with the OM1. They can probably just as easily be found searching on youtube. Same for videos from people using the G9.
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back