Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
ZEISS Summer Savings - Experience unique moments of nature. Save up to £250 on selected ZEISS Binoculars - limited time only!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Best bird picture I ever took

Old Wednesday 21st August 2019, 16:00   #1
jnicholes

Best bird picture I ever took

Hello,

So, a user here gave me some recommendations on using my camera. I took his advice and tried it out. Here is a picture of a red tailed hawk I took awhile ago before I took his advice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Red Tailed Hawk.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	702804

Yesterday, I took his advice and tried out a new setting on my camera. I witnessed a 3 way hawk fight and got a picture of one of the hawks on the new setting. The result was the best bird photo I ever took.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Red Tailed Hawk_3.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	702805

You can see the difference. I caught the talons of the hawk in the second picture as well as a lot of detail.

Well, that was my birding day yesterday. Thanks to that user who gave me that advice!

Jared
Old Thursday 22nd August 2019, 08:02   #2
rollingthunder

Just out of interest could you enlighten as to what your camera/lens is and what settings you are on in order to have the improved results?

Laurie
Old Thursday 22nd August 2019, 15:57   #3
jnicholes

sure. I have a Kodak Pixpro AZ252 camera. I was on the auto setting in the first picture, and on the next picture, I was on shutter priority. I set my shutter speed to 1/2000.

Thats about it.

Jared
Old Thursday 22nd August 2019, 17:03   #4
rollingthunder

A 25x zoom based on 24mm which is good at 50mm coupled with 16mpx top resolution and is a good price

I have a couple of Canon 7D bodies with a couple of zooms up to 600mm but for general field birding i use 1 of 2 Lumix bridge cameras similiar to your spec and just set on ‘burst’ tend to get record shots of anything notable that i see or find (not much of the latter tbh). When abroad i now take a Canon body, both lenses and the latest upgrade Lumix

Laurie -
Old Thursday 22nd August 2019, 17:57   #5
Kakapo Chris
Kakapo Chris

Wow amazing! It brings me such joy to see avifauna photography at these levels. I remember once I saw a similarly majestic passerine but lacked the personal finesse to catch it on my Cannon EOS 80D
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: