• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sabah, Borneo PART 2 : Sepilok & RDC (1 Viewer)

Frogfish

Some more from the Sepilok Jungle Lodge and the RDC :

1. Not a clue !
2. At first I thought Collared Kingfisher but the colour (two-tone turquoise not blue) seems to indicate Sacred ?
3. Not a clue !
4. & 5. (same bird) At first I thought a Malkoha but it doesn't seem to fit any of them so again I'm at a loss !

Thank you !
Kevin

Attachments

• DSC_1155-XL.jpg
    DSC_1155-XL.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC_1019-XL.jpg
    DSC_1019-XL.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC_0977-M.jpg
    DSC_0977-M.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC_0973-M.jpg
    DSC_0973-M.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC_0974-M.jpg
    DSC_0974-M.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 70
According to Clements, sacred doesn't occur on Borneo (or in Indonesia), so I think that makes it a collared. By recollection, the collared kings in Brunei were quite turquoise, so that works, too.

3 looks like one of the green pigeons and I think 4/5 is a barbet, but I'm not sure which ones.

No guess on 1.

According to Clements, sacred doesn't occur on Borneo (or in Indonesia), so I think that makes it a collared. By recollection, the collared kings in Brunei were quite turquoise, so that works, too.

3 looks like one of the green pigeons and I think 4/5 is a barbet, but I'm not sure which ones.

No guess on 1.

That's interesting John. Both Myers and Phillipp's give Sacred as rare to uncommon, coastal, Myers says April thru September & more common in the South of Borneo. Phillipp's says migrates North including Borneo. I had Sacred in NZ I should drag our those shots for comparison !

However if your Collared in Brunei were Turquoise not Blue (as shown in Myers & Phillipp's) then that puts a whole new complexion on the question.

#3 I thought Barbet but can't get that Red eye patch to match any of them !

Careful. NZ has its own subspecies of sacred kingfisher, and it may not be migratory.

And FWIW, I checked the checklist we were given for the Borneo trip and sacred is not on it. Nor did we see one (and I was there in June/July).

Careful. NZ has its own subspecies of sacred kingfisher, and it may not be migratory.

And FWIW, I checked the checklist we were given for the Borneo trip and sacred is not on it. Nor did we see one (and I was there in June/July).

Thanks John. Think it's going to be a Collared then.

Chestnut-winged Babbler (note sooty-grey head and paler underparts, chestnut wings)
Collared Kingfisher (note - Sacred is a very common visitor to eastern and southern Indonesia becoming less common further west, and a scarce visitor to Sabah and Sarawak.)
Pink-necked Green Pigeon, female (note relatively poorly marked, no prounced features, particularly around the bill)
Blue-eared Barbet

James

Chestnut-winged Babbler (note sooty-grey head and paler underparts, chestnut wings)
Collared Kingfisher (note - Sacred is a very common visitor to eastern and southern Indonesia becoming less common further west, and a scarce visitor to Sabah and Sarawak.)
Pink-necked Green Pigeon, female (note relatively poorly marked, no prounced features, particularly around the bill)
Blue-eared Barbet

James

Excellent ! Thanks James.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back