• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackbird... but with white on its neck...?? ideas...? (1 Viewer)

theMusicMan

I spotted this Blackbird earlier this morning and wasn't quick enough to catch a shot of it before it flew off announcing it's alarm shrill call, and thus to the entire world that I was taking shots of it!! But at the time I did notice that there was what I thought was paint on its neck. However, the same bird revisited my garden only a few moments ago and presented an opportunity for me to fire off a few shots.

It's not paint it's in the birds feathers and plumage. Does anyone have any idea what this is and has anyone seen anything like this before...? I might have to post this one on a few bird forums and ask a similar question as I am quite intrigued about it.

blackbird-white2-4062392ps.jpg

blackbird-white-4062389ps.jpg

Music Man,

This is male Blackbird with some albinistic (white-lacking pigment) feathers. This occurs fairly regularly in this species. Beware however a Blackbird with a white crescent across its chest, I notice you are in Wales, a good area for another member of the Thrush family, the Ring Ouzel.

Mark

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back