• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unusual bird - Colchester U.K. (3 Viewers)

Mynameisme

United Kingdom
Hi!
Today whilst out and about being a postman I noticed a lot of squwarking/chirping coming from a tree and then one bird took flight to a nearby house. I’ve never seen such a bird before, at first I thought it was a Jay but it seemed to have a crest on its head. I tried to take a photo but had too much in my hands already and it flew off shortly after. So, if anyone might know what it could have been, that’s would be great

Hi!
Today whilst out and about being a postman I noticed a lot of squwarking/chirping coming from a tree and then one bird took flight to a nearby house. I’ve never seen such a bird before, at first I thought it was a Jay but it seemed to have a crest on its head. I tried to take a photo but had too much in my hands already and it flew off shortly after. So, if anyone might know what it could have been, that’s would be great
Hi. It maybe a Waxwing? Mostly buff brown, with a bit of black and white on the wings, which, a Jay has, it's nearly half the size of a Jay, though, it's around 18cm.

Thanks for your replies. It sure did have a similar perched appearance to a Jay but I’m pretty sure it was about the same size and perhaps the squwarking was coming from the commotion in the tree it came from. In any case, I’ve looked through my photos and I did catch a really poor picture of it in flight. Hopefully you can zoom in

Attachments

• IMG_1807.jpeg
    IMG_1807.jpeg
    885.5 KB · Views: 91
Thanks for your replies. It sure did have a similar perched appearance to a Jay but I’m pretty sure it was about the same size and perhaps the squwarking was coming from the commotion in the tree it came from. In any case, I’ve looked through my photos and I did catch a really poor picture of it in flight. Hopefully you can zoom in
Flying bird is surely a Jay. Which is not surprising if it had
a similar perched appearance to a Jay
and you are
pretty sure it was about the same size

Hello,

yes I see what can be seen as a long and curved bill too. But I agree with Mike, this can easily explained by picture quality and sharpening artefacts. Please note evident=strong blued rim and whitish sharpening halo around the bird.

No offense you know, just to explain the appearant unusual bill shape for this Jay (yes, its this species for me too)

Hello,

yes I see what can be seen as a long and curved bill too. But I agree with Mike, this can easily explained by picture quality and sharpening artefacts. Please note evident=strong blued rim and whitish sharpening halo around the bird.

No offense you know, just to explain the appearant unusual bill shape for this Jay (yes, its this species for me too)
I'm learning all the time, Alexander! 👍 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back