• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

40D died today! (1 Viewer)

IanF

My 40D bought 18th Dec 2007 from WE developed the dreaded Err 99 yesterday. Removing battery and cleaning contacts gained a few frames but today it refused to take one shot. Looks like something amiss with the mirror assembly. The shutter fires okay and everything else looks fine but the mirror isn't lifting when the shutter goes off. A phone call to Canon confirmed it's a recognised issue requiring a service repair under warranty. A.J.Johnstone reckon a 2 week turn around so we'll wait and see!

Luckily I still have the 20D - three years old and still working well - touch wood ;)

Sorry to hear that Ian. Is the problem completely fixable or is there a chance it will happen again once it's repaired?

Hopefully it's a simple fix as 2 weeks is a pretty good turnaround. Sounds like it's not an uncommon problem though.

Always a bit worrying when the manufacturer says its common - that does not bode well for the future.

Like yours, my 20D's are going strong after years of abuse so I guess the more manufacturers squeeze into a camera the greater the possibility of component failure.

Hope your 40D is restored to you soon.

Mmh, bad news, sorry to hear that Ian, I guess you'll get it sorted soon ... as my old car repairer used to say "what it's not in a car, won't break" ... b...y b...d, he used to break my bank account, even if it didn't exist ;)

BAD NEW'S and the fact that its a known problem is a worry too Cannon really need to get there act togather .
Rob

My 40D bought 18th Dec 2007 from WE developed the dreaded Err 99 yesterday. Removing battery and cleaning contacts gained a few frames but today it refused to take one shot. Looks like something amiss with the mirror assembly. The shutter fires okay and everything else looks fine but the mirror isn't lifting when the shutter goes off. A phone call to Canon confirmed it's a recognised issue requiring a service repair under warranty. A.J.Johnstone reckon a 2 week turn around so we'll wait and see!

Luckily I still have the 20D - three years old and still working well - touch wood ;)

that's bad news, I hope it gets sorted quickly.

The 20D does seem to be an amazingly reliable camera, I know of one BFer who has put over 500k shots on his!

That is awful news Ian. Lets hope it is back with you soonn and no more problems to follow

I know how you feel Ian. The good news is that Canon turned my camera round in a couple of days when the shutter went AWOL so I'm sure you'll soon be reunited!

Paul

Sorry to hear that Ian.
I bought one in back January & the same thing happend, it just refused to focus to start with then the mirror problem started so I took it back & got a refund.
I am going to replace it with a 1D mk III in a couple of weeks time,
So inthe mean time I will have to use my trusty old 30D.

A.J.Johnstone reckon a 2 week turn around so we'll wait and see!

I used to send my stuff to Canon repairer's with no joy whatsoever especially time wise.

I now send everything direct to Canon. I have sent 20d, grip, lenses and have never waited more than one week for return.

Sorry to hear about your problems, Ian.

Just to keep a sense of perspective on this though, in all of the thousands of postings I've read on the various internet forums since the 40D was released (including DPReview, POTN, Photo.net, Fred Miranda and more - pretty much all the biggest photography sites) the only two I've read that directly quote a mirror as the source of a 40D failure are yours and Paul's.

Just Google "40D + mirror": plenty of discusson about mirror lock-up, but not much indication if any of mirrors blowing up.

The point being, a "known" fault does not mean a common fault (I know you aren't saying this, Ian, but others are - without much basis for doing so, in my humble opinion).

Karl and Rob - no offence lads, but you're seeing "issues" that just aren't there. This isn't a common problem. Yes, there are some bodies out there with problems, but I would say that generally, as far as the 40D is concerned, the available evidence indicates that Canon have very much "got their act together".

Hell (Paul to note! ;)), I had two 30D shutters fail on me - one camera at only 5,000 actuations, the other barely out of the shop.

It's another "known fault", but that doesn't mean that the 30D is inherently prone to shutter failures just because it happened twice to me. The first was fixed under warranty, the second replaced by the shop, and both are perfect now.

Things break, and sh*t happens.

This experience didn't put me off subsequently buying a 40D, either.

Of course, the 40D's mirror assembly is a faster, more sophisticated mechanism than was in the 20D/30D, with motors instead of springs to move the mirror - but it's (allegedly) a more heavy-duty item to cope with the higher fps rate.

Maybe the additional sophistication increases the theoretical risk of failure, but it still appears to be a truly rare problem.

Last edited:
Good point Keith it was the first id heared of it, i Guess being a mk3 owner with all the messing about iv being through make's me paranoid .
Rob.

Ok Keith point taken!
I went out today & bought another 40D from Jessops in Reading,it's a different store from my first camera so should be a completely different batch.
After reading the posts on this thread including yours! I decided to try another one.
I've been thinking about the mk3 at £2500 & it is a lot of dosh for a body when the 50D is around the corner.
Thanks for your views, and fingers crossed this one should be alright, It's certainly better than the other one, I think it must have been from a friday afternoon batch!

Last edited:
Having bought a 40d I was delighted that Keith put all this in perspective. Good luck with the new 40d Paul and just thank God that it wasn't a Friday car we are talking about!!

Having bought a 40d I was delighted that Keith put all this in perspective. Good luck with the new 40d Paul and just thank God that it wasn't a Friday car we are talking about!!

Thanks Kim

I have been out in the garden this aternoon trying it out & it is great.
Hoping to be posting some pictures from it soon.
Oh I got my car last september & luckily no probs there! ( touch wood ):eek!:

Just to give an update. Still no 40D!

I rang A.J.Johnstone last Friday and they assured me it was repaired and would be back in my hands on Monday. Despite taking four weeks instead of the two they'd originally quoted that didn't seem too bad.

When the camera failed to arrive by today I rang again. This time to be informed hey still have my camera and that I'd been given incorrect information. A part has had to be ordered and hasn't yet arrived. The delay being due to it being a new model.

I'm a little miffed but at least I know know that it hasn't gone astray in the mail.

Perhaps not the best company for keeping their customers informed!

Well I don´t think of upgrading my camera any longer based on different user experiences with 40D. My 20D is still working perfectly from day 1 and until now.

Last edited:
Well just to keep the "sense of perspective" argument strong: my 40D is 6,000 shots in (not a lot compared with some, I know - but see my comments above about my 30Ds) and is still as sweet as a nut, just as you'd expect.

If anything, I'm even happier with it now than I was initially, because I'm used to the "differentness" of the 40D's AF response compared with the 30D, and because of how great RAW conversions look from Capture One 4 or Raw Therapee (fantastic colours, gobs of detail and sharpness, excellent highlight handling, essentially noiseless images at 400 ISO, which is my "baseline" ISO these days).

I'm as happy as a freakin' clam with it.

Last edited:
I recently purchased a 40D, even though I had my reservations regarding focussing issues I'd read about beforehand (the cash back offer drew me in) Ive had it a little under a week and from the outset just knew it wasnt right. The hit rate at shots being blob on sharp just wasnt there; in fact it seemed to be every other actuation was totally out. Today I used it side by side with my faithful 20D (interchanging them onto the 500mm f/4) and the difference became so obvious; I was back on track for keepers! (only when using the 20D, i mean)

Using the 40D on A1 Servo seemed to be the problem (although the other focussing options also suffered) I found it struggled madly in bright conditions, but made a better 'effort' in duller light.

Unfortunately, Im in a situation where Im still requiring a second DSLR; due to costs, a full-frame camera is out of my reach for a good while; and I was so convinced the 40D was the way to go. Im hoping the problem lies with a 'bad batch' and that sooner than later I may get to purchase one that delivers.

Confidence in your equipments' ability to deliver is paramount in wildlife photography; I just had none in this particular piece. I hope that changes. Well done if you managed to get a 40D that lets you produce.

The one I have is about to be returned! :(

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back