• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler ID Central Texas (1 Viewer)

This is a tough bird. From what I've read, the Mac female will have more of a whitish throat, which this bird does have. But the eyering is not that strong. So I guess it will go in the "unsure" pile.

It is the Oporornis that would farthest out of range. The white throat is what makes me think MacGillivray's. The eye ring . . .

I've had other birders reviewing the photo. Some are agreeing this may be a Connecticut. One person pointed out the long undertail coverts. I've also checked Texas records and COWA have been reported/accepted here in the past.

I'd say Mourning as well. It is the expected Oporornis (or whatever they are now) for central Texas, the complete eye-ring is ok for female Mourning but not for MacGillivray's, and the yellow on the belly is too bright for Connecticut. Connecticut also has a browner nape, which is not apparent in this photo. The illustration in Sibley's shows a paler throat that slightly contrasts with the rest of the hood in female Mourning, so I don't see the pale throat of this bird as a point in favor of MacGillivray's. Both Connecticut and Mourning have rather long undertail coverts; those of Connecticut are a bit longer, but with the tail pointing slightly away from the viewer in this photo, I think this feature is difficult to judge.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back