• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Using IR remote instead of long lenses (1 Viewer)

imagedude

I can't justify the expense of a long lens so I was wondering if using a camera that was pre-focused on a likely perch and fired by an IR remote would likely yield good pictures?

No reason why not but you would have to be in line of site the the sensor for the IR to work.
I have tried it with a cheap wireless one bought of ebay for £24. I set the camera on a tripod outside, 6ft away from the bird feeder to try and catch some incoming flight shots. Sat inside in the chair and just fired away when I saw anything approaching.

Last edited:
I can't justify the expense of a long lens so I was wondering if using a camera that was pre-focused on a likely perch and fired by an IR remote would likely yield good pictures?
Yep! I have done this using a radio transmiting remote bought on Ebay for around £15.00, they have more range than IR remotes and you don't have to be opposite your camera so shoot from behind as normal. Mine has a range of around 100ft and even works at night so i managed to capture one or two good fox shots!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back