• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

tamron 70-300mm vc usd (1 Viewer)

the black fox

anyone had any experience of this lens yet ,its getting rave reviews on some forums and test sites but nothing specifically wildlife ,its good value around the £350-00 pound area and although it won't come up to a L lens standards i just want a light weight summer lens instead of just relying on my 400 f5.6 L ,something that can catch birds up close and insects /butterflies to .so whats the crack anyone got one or seen one in use ,is it good value or just being talked up any ideas ???? forgot to put for canon ef

Hi BF:

a little late to this thread, but in case you are still out there in cyberland and interested in this glass, here are a few brief observations.

first, as you have mentioned, there are quite a number of reviews on this lens on the web. most are quite complimentary, but as you have mentioned, not much specifically relating to bird photography. However if you surf the DP review. com lens forums you will see some shooters who have posted bird pics.

as far as reviews are concerned, if you havent seen this one, the short comment on "competitive with any 70-300 on the market" or words to that effect, is telling:

http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/canon/lenses/telephoto/tamron-70-300-f4-5.6-di-vc-usd-for-canon

since these folks are a lens and camera rental outfit, personally i give their opinions a lot of weight.

i have this tammie coupled to a Canon T2i, and frankly I was very, very well pleased w/ what I saw right out of the gate. "Amazed" might be a more appropriate term considering the price. Very sharp wide open and all the way out, and on the Canon 18mp sensor quite a room for heavy crops of the wee feathered beasties like Kinglets and Gnatcatchers, maybe up to 1/2 a frame or so before the image starts to show some softness. Really finely etched contour feather details along the body of these small birds. I compared it to a Canon 300 f/4 IS L I had on hand, not quite an A/B resolution chart test, but same birds, same day and while the L lens was a sharper, certainly not 3X the price sharper, as the cost might indicate. I found in 5X7 up to 8X10 inch, which is about as big as I care to print, the quality of the image was a wash betweem the two. The IS is rock solid, no question less drift of the image compared to the Canon, which is of course c. late '90's technology. There was a big difference in autofocus speed also, as the Tamron was much snappier to lock focus. The only real softness was noticed when doing insane crops of birds at large distances, where the L lens (and the Sony G, see below) held together better, but this seems a fair compromise in this level of glass.

I wound up returning the L lens, which may have had some mechanical defects that resulted in an inordinate amount of color fringing (decentered elements?). It is possible my copy was bad.

I recently took both this lens and a Sony 70-400 G lens to Costa Rica, and took a dump truck load of pics, mostly birds. Again, the G lens won out in terms of absolute bleeding edge retrieval of feather-level detail. But after all the prints were done, looking at the output of these two lenses boht on a monitor and on paper, if it was not for the extra reach of 400mm I do believe I would have been happy w/ the results from the Tammie alone. It certainly is easier to tote.

A big two thumbs up from me!

regards,
UTC

A couple of shots with my new Tamron 70-300mm

Just testing it out. I'm quite impressed by the VC.

Attachments

• 2011-2.jpg
    2011-2.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 636
  • 2011-3.jpg
    2011-3.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 651
I haven't own one. But a friend of mine has one in Nikon mount, as well as a Nikon 70-300 VR, he loves the former, and let go the latter to his daughter, so I guess it should be pretty good.
I have the old version of Tamron 18-270 to bring along with my 300 f4/1.4 combo for travel, and found it very capable, and expect the new 18-270 VR PZD to be even better, but 270 will be considered too short by many bird photographers.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back