• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help needed building a Web Site (1 Viewer)

Reader said:
Hi Paul

The Kites are from Gigrin and I'm sure you will recognise the log the Blue Tit is on. The Nuthatch is from the same place BTW. The Robin is from the Ladywalk car park feeder station.

John

Do we use the same places? I recognise that feeder ;-)

Nice to see you've got the website moving, look forward to seeing the gallery. Also nice to see you got some shots with the new camera, shame about the sparrowhawk though ;)

Attachments

• Nuthatch.jpg
    Nuthatch.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Nuthatch1.jpg
    Nuthatch1.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 54
timeshadowed said:
Now maybe you can tell me if this change affects the way the 3D movies work at these 2 links. Do the movies 'work' for anyone else?
Nothing happens for me, I just get the Javascript window, but I don’t have QuickTime installed! Perhaps someone with QT could test it?

timeshadowed said:
Thanks for that bit of information, bpw. Now maybe you can tell me if this change affects the way the 3D movies work at these 2 links. Do the movies 'work' for anyone else?

http://ip30.eti.uva.nl/naturalis/detail?lang=uk&id=54
http://ip30.eti.uva.nl/naturalis/detail?lang=uk&id=53

These links lead to a page that has 3D images of a male and female IBWO which can be rotated. I used to be able to do this from the library computers. But now the movies will not down-load. The libraries have just gone through a software update so I'm not sure if that alone is the problem or if the movies do not work anymore. Sorry if this post is a bit 'off-topic' for this thread, but at this point, I just could not help but ask.

The links work fine for me with Firefox and Quicktime, although the birds are stuffed in ridiculous poses for IBWO...
Sean

jeff said:
Do we use the same places? I recognise that feeder ;-)

Nice to see you've got the website moving, look forward to seeing the gallery. Also nice to see you got some shots with the new camera, shame about the sparrowhawk though ;)

Cracking photos Jeff and yes, we do use the same places. ;)

Hopefully it will be online later tonight, minus the gallery and a few other things. It will be a question of uploading to the gallery and making the links to other sites work. That should take quite a while so don't expect too much for quite a while yet.

John

Reader said:
Cracking photos Jeff and yes, we do use the same places. ;)

Hopefully it will be online later tonight, minus the gallery and a few other things. It will be a question of uploading to the gallery and making the links to other sites work. That should take quite a while so don't expect too much for quite a while yet.

John

You'll never have time to go out now you know :)

Jeff

seanofford said:
The links work fine for me with Firefox and Quicktime, although the birds are stuffed in ridiculous poses for IBWO...
Sean

Thanks guys for checking out the QT movies for me, perhaps it's just that the library has somehow blocked it from working now.

We have hit a problem. We have now attached the gallery to the web site and done the various links to the buttons in my site. Opening my site up in Internet Explorer and everything works ok but in Firefox the Gallery button doesn't work. Any ideas why?

It has baffled David and he doesn't know why this is happening.

He hasn't got Opera. Can anyone test this site in Opera to see if the buttons work ok please. It works ok in Safari so at the moment Firefox looks like it has a problem with this site.

Here is the site. http://www.coventrybirder.co.uk/

Has anyone got any ideas why this is happening and how to rectify it.

if you can open the gallery don't worry about the content or the colour. The skin will be changed to something else later in the week. I am now going to do something about adding various catergories to the gallery before starting to upload the photos. So far I have added two photos just to see what they look like.

John

Reader said:
We have hit a problem. We have now attached the gallery to the web site and done the various links to the buttons in my site. Opening my site up in Internet Explorer and everything works ok but in Firefox the Gallery button doesn't work. Any ideas why?

He hasn't got Opera. Can anyone test this site in Opera to see if the buttons work ok please. It works ok in Safari so at the moment Firefox looks like it has a problem with this site.

if you can open the gallery don't worry about the content or the colour. The skin will be changed to something else later in the week. I am now going to do something about adding various catergories to the gallery before starting to upload the photos. So far I have added two photos just to see what they look like.

John

Gallery button works fine with Opera for me John

D

Reader said:

John

The gallery button is working fine in Firefox, perhaps you've solved it?

Thank goodness. I have it working ok now so David must have solved it.

Thanks for letting me know that it also works in Opera Delia.

John

I have started to upload quite a few photos. It will take ages but as you can see I have now added the website to show at the bottom of each thread.

So far I have even got it part funded by Focus Optics and the rest may come from another source so hopefully my first years hosting will be free.

John

Anyone wanting to build a reasonably complex site with or without a technical background might want to consider what's known as a Content Managment System (CMS). The initial setup (installation) can sometimes be a pain, depending on what CMS you go for (make sure you go for a free one though!), but after it's set-up you should be able to do whatever you want with your site very simply.

Creating a new page can be just as simple as posting to this forum. You can edit it in the same way too. Add a gallery... add another gallery... add a blog... add a whole forum if you want... change the whole look of the site with a few clicks via themes.

I've been designing websites for over 10 years with many different approaches and CMSs take all the pain out of website design and management, allowing you to publish your information, without worrying about the technical details. (You can still worry about them if you want... you can tweek all the code to suit your needs!)

I've been using Drupal (http://www.drupal.org) for my family website for a while now which I found through http://www.opensourcecms.com/ which lists and reviews loads of free CMSs. My site has various photo galleries with sub galleries, blogs, static pages, access control, automated archiving, search, "most recent image", "random image", etc.... I can install more features or uninstall ones I don't want anymore. All from a simple admin panel... did I mention it's all free? (Well the software's free, but you'll need a webhost to support your site, mine's free with my broadband package though!)

If anyone is interested and doesn't know where to start... just ask here or PM me |=)|

whomes said:
If it's just a showcase for your photos you need, I've found www.clikpic.com. Good templates, very easy to use, and for under £75.

Hi Whomes

If you look at the bottom of this thread you will now see that I have a website up and running. If you like to take a look at it and see what you think.

John

I've looked at your superb site many times Reader, the level of interactivity is fantastic!

My main problem is that I don't seem to have (or make) the time to sit down and plan and execute a decent site. That's why a templated site like the one I mentioned is ideal for me.

I also need to get out and take some decent pictures!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back