• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheating or digital imaging? (1 Viewer)

Keith Reeder said:
Personally I little or no moral or ethical difference between the kind of manipulation Mark has done here and "staged" shots - birds being photographed in what amounts to an outside studio with carefuly placed branches for the birds to perch on; foliage carefully selected for its colour and placed in the scene even though it might not actually be growing there; unwanted clutter cleared from the area; maybe a pond being created especially to bring the bird into the picture and serve as a prop...

It's all "manipulation", and in a sense I see Mark's picture here as more "pure" than set-up pictures which might bear little semblance to what the scene looked like before the photographer got there.

I like both approaches: they're equally valid and legitimate if done "honestly".

But they're both an intervention by the photographer resulting in the alteration of an arbitrary starting point in order to get the shot.

Discuss...

;)
The difference between these two scenarios is the fact that the creature moves ITSELF within the frame in an outside studio in the first,and the IMAGE CREATOR moves it within the frame in the second thus making the creature do something that it did not do.

In the first example you can't make an animal do anything outside the realms of natural behavior, it will simply not cooperate.

In the second example you can make an animal do exactly what you want (natural or not)

Another way of looking at it is to use the example of a Hummingbird Hawkmoth.

If I provide the RIGHT flower(tubular of the correct colour) on a sunny day, I might just photograph one, The photo would show natural behavior.

If I provided the wrong one (a Rose for example) I would never get the photograph of the the moth as it does not feed on this type of flower.

If I were to move a H Hawk moth digitally within the frame from tubular flower to a rose because it looked better, I would create a grossly inaccurate image.

Whether one cares about the inaccuracy is another matter, and I suspect it separates the naturalists from the non naturalists.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back