• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

70-200 f2.8 is USM mk11 +2xTc (1 Viewer)

Two stops but possible some IQ but i dont know about how well they match.with Nikon a better bet would possibly be a 1.4 converter losing one stop and cropping the final image.

2x TC's double reach to 400mm and double minimum aperture to f5.6.
It will still produce very sharp images but at f5.6 it slows auto focus accuracy and thus is slower to obtain focus because the lens is reduced in the number of cross type focus points that are available to use. A 1.4xTC is appreciably faster ( minimum aperture f4) but with a reach of only 280mm it's a bit short for many birding opportunities.

As an aside those who have them claim both the 400 f5.6 and the new 100-400 f5.6-6.3 are very quick to AF and yet they have the same focus point restrictions as the 70-200 with a 2x. I can't comment having not owned either of the latter named lenses to compare.
If you are thinking of buying the 70-200 I'd consider the other two as well, particularly the 100-400 which can be extended further still using a 1.4 TC. so you potentially have a 560mm lens at f8 with much more limited auto focus points. ( You can of course use a 2xTC too if you are prepared to use manual focus or, I'm told "Live view")

I use this combo as it was the cheaper option to get to 400mm when I became interested in wildlife photography and I already had the 70-200mm.

As Dave says your minimum aperture will double to f5.6 but there are limitations to consider. AF will slow down a bit but the main AF problem I find is that the combo sometimes struggles to focus when moving between near & far subjects & vice versa, and needs a helping tweek on the manual focussing ring to bring you into rough focus before the AF can take over! The bare 70-200mm fairly zips through near & far subjects & back again with no trouble!

The other problem I find is that the combo can be a bit unforgiving on technique and some images can have a tendency to be "soft"! You can get very good photos but you have to be spot on.

If you already have the 70-200mm then, like me you'll find the 2xTC a cheap way of getting to 400mm? However, if you don't then you would probably be better off buying the mkII 100-400mm?

Shane

Agree with what the guys are saying except: As I see it when fitting a 2X to the 70 - 200 f2.8
The minimum aperture is actually doubled to f64. The maximum aperture is halved to f5.6.

*** Edit*** Thinking about it the max aperture has gone down by three quarters not half.;)

Mike

Last edited:
Ian, you may find this review helpful ........... and yes Mike is quite correct!

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-Extender-EF-2x-III-Review.aspx

Shane

Since the article was written the Canon 7D2 has been added to the list of bodies that will auto focus, albeit with number of AF points limited to 5, at f8.
The newly announced 1DX11 offers a far greater number and spread apparently not that I'm in the market for one at the launch price of £5100

I have the 100-400 ii and the 70-200/2.8 ii. The 100-400 is a great lens, really really sharp. I had the 400/5.6 before. A very sharp lens indeed. I think the new 100-400 at the long end is right on par with the 400/5.6, which is quite an accomplishment by Canon.

But the 70-200/2.8 ii is just craaaaacking. It blows you away! If i had to ditch one of them I'd keep the 70-200 with a converter. I have the 1.4 and it works very well with the 70-200. I have not tried the 2x though. But it of course all depends on what you will mainly be using it for. I think you should go with the millimeters you would be using most of the time. If its for birds - then go with the 100-400 ii, since you'll be using the 400 most of the time. If not - then get a 70-200!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back