• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brand new to everything at 68 - wanted to say hello… (2 Viewers)

Jdilpkle

United States
Long story short, I’m 68 years old, live in Rancho Cucamonga California, and even though my wife is a very competent photographer swinging her Leica camera around and documenting artwork at local museums, I know just enough to get confused very quickly. I had a 35mm A1 many many moons ago, but never used it. I bought a Nikon P1000 a few months ago and discovered I really enjoyed photographing birds in the area. It surprised me how much fun it was just in my backyard! I was hooked. After doing some research, I quickly discovered that the P1000 probably wasn’t best choice for what I now liked to do. I bought the P1000 to primarily zoom in on aircraft and the like. Fast forward to 3 days ago - I ordered a Cannon R6 Mark 2 and the Cannon RF 200 - 800 zoom lens. So, whether it’s the best combo or not, I’m committed. I couldn’t have spent a penny more and I really stretched to buy them. My wife has a wide angle L series 16 - 35 2.8 L Series Cannon, 24 x 70 and a L Series 70-200 lens I could use with an adapter she bought for me because my new 200 - 800 lens is on backorder. I just wanted to stop in for the first time and say hello. Thank you all for the ear, and I apologize ahead of time for my stupid questions.
Joe

Last edited:
Hi Jdilpkle and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. First off... there's no "stupid questions" on here. Just a question you've not yet asked. We all have questions LOL.

Good luck with your new set up and I hope we might be able to see some of your pictures in the Gallery before too long. I've an earlier version of your P1000 in the P900 and love it!!

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi Jdilpkle and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. First off... there's no "stupid questions" on here. Just a question you've not yet asked. We all have questions LOL.

Good luck with your new set up and I hope we might be able to see some of your pictures in the Gallery before too long. I've an earlier version of your P1000 in the P900 and love it!!

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Thank you so much for the quick reply! I have so much to learn, but at least I’m on the road. Thank you again.

I ordered a Cannon R6 Mark 2 and the Cannon RF 200 - 800 zoom lens. So, whether it’s the best combo or not, I’m committed. I couldn’t have spent a penny more and I really stretched to buy them. My wife has a wide angle L series 16 - 35 2.8 L Series Cannon, 24 x 70 and a L Series 70-200 lens I could use with an adapter she bought for me because my new 200 - 800 lens is on backorder. .
When I started again with bird photography in the digital age, I used the 70-200 L IS with the 7D. You can work with it but have to crop always, even with garden birds. For years, I'm using the 100-400 L and that's enough reach since I need lightweight gear for cycling. It all depends on your 'birding behavior', do you prefer a blind, do you hike in the mountains? For birds you always need a longer lens but you have to carry it too :)

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.
It sure appears to be affirmative on that.
Thanks!
When I started again with bird photography in the digital age, I used the 70-200 L IS with the 7D. You can work with it but have to crop always, even with garden birds. For years, I'm using the 100-400 L and that's enough reach since I need lightweight gear for cycling. It all depends on your 'birding behavior', do you prefer a blind, do you hike in the mountains? For birds you always need a longer lens but you have to carry it too :)
I’m still finding my feet, I’m not even sure yet if fully auto or fully manual is best. (shows you my ignorance in the basics) live in a residential area, with few trees, but it’s amazing how many I drew in last week with birdseed on a board attached to a ladder. I’ve been devouring YouTube videos but it’s quite overwhelming. I am 20 minutes from mountains which I four wheel in ever so often.

As a total aside, if you do a lot of cycling, you might enjoy

Actually, it's meant for people from all over the world (though it's just one of such listing threads, each with different rules--most notably, there's the yard/garden listing thread in Birds & Birding).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back