• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Simon Barnes (1 Viewer)

I suppose if I put my Marxist hat on I would see this as further proof that more and more wealth is being accumulated by fewer and fewer people and that power follows likewise. Hence, persecution of raptors must not be allowed the oxygen of publicity as it may affect adversely those who have an income from rearing game-birds (such people often being amongst those accumulating said wealth and power). A rather simplistic approach but one that seems be emerging in the 21st century although it's too early to be sure.

Conversely, if I donned my Reagan/Thatcher hat I would see articles written by George Monbiot in the Guardian and elsewhere as being scare-mongering, radical and trouble-making, comparable to the Levellers and Diggers (and, perhaps, the Luddites). All designed to kill off growth as measured by GDP.

So should there be a more widely recognised middle road? I guess the answer is "yes" and although I am not that familiar with Simon Barnes' writing he does seem to be more in the centre rather than in the outer lanes. So hopefully the Guardian will seize the opportunity and snap him up quickly!

Incidentally, Barnes seems to be still with the Times - there is a piece by him about Wimbledon dated 26 June on their website.

David

The simple truth is that the powers that be run our world to suit themselves. There is another example in the news today; the Scottish Government has spent £7,000,000 upgrading transport links for the Gleneagles Ryder Cup. Their justification/excuse is "long term benefit to the local population". Have a look at a map of the area and tell me if you can see this as anything more than a free subsidy to a the wealthy users of "Gleneagles".

Meanwhile the rest of have roads with potholes the size of paddling pools!

As far as I am aware Simon Barnes has been dismissed by the Times, what I am not clear about is whether this is with immediate effect or whether he has articles that have already gone to print. Simon wore two hats as a Times writer and as such, he may have accumulated quite a backlog for publication so I don't think we can assume that any articles appearing are evidence that he is still employed by the paper.

Personally I suspect that his dismissal may not be solely because of his outspoken views on Fifa or grouse shooting because both subjects are well embedded now. However, I do slightly suspect that there may be a more widespread shift away from conservation issues within the British press.

It's a shame that one of the Time's better writers has been given the old heave ho, his articles whether on sports or nature were always entertaining. I stopped reading the Times several years ago and do not think that losing writers of this quality will lure me back.

James.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back