• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Migratory birds now overwintering (1 Viewer)

JTweedie

Around the Clyde area we have Blackcaps that overwinter here. I don't know if they're residents or perhaps birds that have migrated here from colder places further north during the winter.

Likewise I've read that Chiffchaffs are now resident in some places.

Does anyone know if any of these birds are actually birds that stay put and don't migrate or whether they are overwintering birds that have come from colder places?

Are there signs of other mainly migratory birds that are showing similar patterns of distribution and behaviour?

Indeed, and the habitual discovery of Siberian Chiffchaffs among wintering Chiffs at least suggests these are migrants from elsewhere and not residents. The drivers may not be temperature but food availability or annual survival rates (a composite of all factors compared to the same factors elsewhere in wintering range).

John

Indeed, and the habitual discovery of Siberian Chiffchaffs among wintering Chiffs at least suggests these are migrants from elsewhere and not residents. The drivers may not be temperature but food availability or annual survival rates (a composite of all factors compared to the same factors elsewhere in wintering range).

John
Not to discount this, but in London it's noticeable there are higher chiffy concentrations around warmer places like sewage farms---which coincidentally (presumably) have more food. I noticed chiffies' absence from many places I normally expect them during the cold weather earlier this year

Last edited:
Not to discount this, but in London it's noticeable there are higher chiffy concentrations around warmer places like sewage farms---which coincidentally (presumably) have more food. I noticed chiffies' absence from many places I normally expect them during the cold weather earlier this year
I'd say it's the other way about: sewage farms are no warmer than the remainder of the environment but they are a consistent source of food due to their nature and therefore always the best place to look for Chiffchaffs in winter.

John

FWIW at a traffic roundabout in Leytonstone NEast London during late December 2014 within which there was a steep ditch with water source, covered in bramble and hogweed.
Therein overwintered, two Common Whitethroat and a Reed Warbler sp.till Dec 23rd (at least).

Attachments

• IMG_1517.jpeg
    IMG_1517.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 6
Small DNA study was done of overwintering Chiffchaffs in Ireland in 2015.

Attachments

• OMahoneyetal.2015ChiffchaffIrishBirds2015.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
Wintering Reed Warblers is nothing new. Welches Dam, December '87(?) anyone?
Yes, there have been several, of which one was “down the road” from the “roundabout” at Walthamstow reservoirs circa a mile away, again within a wetland area, a few years later.
Point being that transaharans don’t exactly “drip off the trees” at Xmas in Northern Europe! 😮

Users who are viewing this thread

Back