• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tikkal, Guatemala 2017 (1 Viewer)

Staffsmartin

Staffsmartin
All taken in January. i think 3 is a tropical kingbird and the 2 raptors are probably both Roadside Hawks

Attachments

• 2B0A7326.jpg
    2B0A7326.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 2B0A7337.jpg
    2B0A7337.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 2B0A7441.jpg
    2B0A7441.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 2B0A7456.jpg
    2B0A7456.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 2B0A7770.jpg
    2B0A7770.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 59
Yes, Roadies for the raptors, Black-striped Sparrow for 4, 3 is most likely Tropical Kingbird but the less frequent but possible Couch's can only be excluded on call (so far as I know). Not sure off hand for the Myiarchus.

Suspect first is brown-crested flycatcher (assuming it occurs): rufous under-tail, brownish crest, pale head etc. Agree roadside hawks, 3 tropical Kingbird. Would have to find a guide to know the brush-finch: looks like what was stripe-headed before the splits

I agree the first image is a Myiarchus, but I would like to leave it at that
The sparrow looks to have brownish stripes in the head which would make it Olive.

Niels

Color of the stripes look different on my home = color corrected vs the non corrected monitor I am at now. They look brown on the color corrected one.

Niels

The stripes on the sparrow look black to me, and the back seems a fairly bright green. According to Neotropical Birds Online, Green-backed Sparrow is the expected species around Tikal (vs. Olive Sparrow)

Hi All,

As ovenbird43 noted, Green-backed is the expected Arremonops at Tikal. Also, the Myiarchus is a Great Crested Flycatcher. A bit weird to see it perched on a fence, but you can make out its long primary projection (for a Myiarchus), broad, wedged shaped edging on the upper tertial, and strong olive green tones to the upperparts.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back