• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

flycatcher Tayrona NP end of august (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Is it possible to identify this bird? I have it down as a probable Tropical Kingbird
Nielsqfl P1280258.JPG

Second bird and I have no idea of this one. I have a second image but it shows identical angle.
Niels
qfl2 P1280244.JPG

I am not sure either of these is identifiable, but it would help to know the country.
Sorry, agree I should have included that info in the title. As TF said, northern Colombia near Santa Marta. The park is lowland forest near the sea.
Niels

Good to be sure of the wing bar colours here (which you could check through manipulation): perhaps sepia-capped if in any way cinnamon
When shooting, I save both jpg and raw. The first upload was a crop of the jpg. Here I have developed the raw using default white-balance in ACDSee (which tend to ignore what the camera did), and I have enlarged the area about 4x linearly. I see these as mostly whitish, but not completely sure? What about the pale area below the wing bars?
thanks
Niels
qfl2b P1280244.jpg

When shooting, I save both jpg and raw. The first upload was a crop of the jpg. Here I have developed the raw using default white-balance in ACDSee (which tend to ignore what the camera did), and I have enlarged the area about 4x linearly. I see these as mostly whitish, but not completely sure? What about the pale area below the wing bars?
thanks
Niels
View attachment 1545442
I was looking on my phone earlier. And even then my initial thought was an elaenia. I dismissed this as a quick look at ebird suggested yellow-bellied elaenia's yellow doesn't stretch so far up the chest so evenly. But looking at these images on a large screen: a) not sepia-capped: gives the impression of a larger bird (and wing bars wrong colour), b) can't shake the elaenia vibe, and looking at ebird again suggests it's possible. So yellow-bellied elaenia is my best guess.

Ebird has four species of Elaenia in the park, including lesser which I would slightly favor over yellow-bellied? But bottom line, not a photo to get a certain id from.
Niels

Ebird has four species of Elaenia in the park, including lesser which I would slightly favor over yellow-bellied? But bottom line, not a photo to get a certain id from.
Niels
Pro lesser is tail length (approx same as body length). Pro yellow-bellied is wing bars: dull, yellowish rather than bright white. Lighting makes it difficult to evaluate colour of yellow on underparts (which in any case varies iirc).

I can't remember which (if either) I saw there: what does ebird say is more common?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back