• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loch Garten Ospreys 2011 (1 Viewer)

A CHAPLIN

Hi Everybody,

The webcam is now running at Loch Garten and it is showing a beautiful afternoon up there, unlike here.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/webcams/birdsofprey/lochgartenvideo.aspx

If there is no snow this year, I wonder if EJ will recognise her nest? it has a beautiful carpet of green grass, wish my lawns looked as good.

Wishing and hoping EJ returns safely soon as well as all our other "regular" Ospreys round the UK. I bet she arrives on Friday as I am supposed to be going out for the day.

To everyone, enjoy our new Osprey Season.

Ann
The Osprey Godmother :flyaway::flyaway::D:egghead:

Off sick today (genuinely!) so I'm watching the webcam expectantly. Looks like there are some crossbills tidying up for the ospreys' return!

Ah today was rather special. Predicting the time of her arrival to the minute (2.15pm) was great. I doubt it will ever happen again.

Hi Everybody,

The webcam is now running at Loch Garten and it is showing a beautiful afternoon up there, unlike here.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/webcams/birdsofprey/lochgartenvideo.aspx

If there is no snow this year, I wonder if EJ will recognise her nest? it has a beautiful carpet of green grass, wish my lawns looked as good.

Wishing and hoping EJ returns safely soon as well as all our other "regular" Ospreys round the UK. I bet she arrives on Friday as I am supposed to be going out for the day.

To everyone, enjoy our new Osprey Season.

Ann
The Osprey Godmother :flyaway::flyaway::D:egghead:

Ann,EJ arrived back at Loch Garten today.Welcome to 4 months of sleepless nights..! :-O:-O:-O

i can't believe the ospreys are back again, feels like just last week that they left. i must do more to see them this year.

it really feels like spring now with osprey chat.

So this is the female, EJ, that is currently on the nest? She's doing her housework, trying to clear out and neaten up the nest. That large clump of grass is really annoying her! I don't think she's quite figured out how to get that thing out of there!

That large clump is gone now, she is a most attentive bird, I love it when Odin comes to the nest and moves a twig, EJ usually moves it straight back. :t:

Do wish they could do something about the awful Humming, i like to listen to the birds singing in the background

i can't believe the ospreys are back again, feels like just last week that they left. i must do more to see them this year.

it really feels like spring now with osprey chat.

I see Osprey a few times every year between about May and August on warmer days over the Dee. They cross Aberdeen every few days, usually between 11:00 and 16:00, but in late July, August, after breeding you can spot them any time. I don't know where they come from but I've not missed a year yet. They're never very high up either. A favourite route takes them via Holburn Junction in the town to the north. Another is over Cromwell Road Recreation Ground, a place which is as good for spotting raptors as anywhere I know if conditions are right.

Cheers

I see Osprey a few times every year between about May and August on warmer days over the Dee. They cross Aberdeen every few days, usually between 11:00 and 16:00, but in late July, August, after breeding you can spot them any time. I don't know where they come from but I've not missed a year yet. They're never very high up either. A favourite route takes them via Holburn Junction in the town to the north. Another is over Cromwell Road Recreation Ground, a place which is as good for spotting raptors as anywhere I know if conditions are right.

Cheers

apologies for the brief tangent on this thread, but cromwell road you say? admittedly i've not walked round there recently but i've lived nearby on both sides and never come across an abundance of raptors. Culter on the other hand has proven amazing for raptors. The only raptors I've seen in the city itself are the Peregrines at Triple Kirks and Kestrels at Girdleness.

there are other good sites but this is probably a discussion best held in the aberdeenshire thread.

I''ve been keeping an eye out for travelling Ospreys on deeside this spring, it seems an obvious place for them to travel along towards their regular nesting sites. Alas no sign yet. I've also failed to see EJ on the webcam so far, guess my lucks not in yet. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back