• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellow-Legged Gulls?? (1 Viewer)

WiseOwl

Photographed at Edgbaston Pool today. Would i be right in presuming that these two gulls are Yellow-Legs??

Sorry for the pic quality, they were at a distance.

Most of the Gulls here, quickly move off to the main Roost at Bartley Reservoir, some 3 miles away, and there have been 1-2 Yellow-legs in the Roost there over the last few weeks.

Attachments

• Edgbaston Pool 24-10-08 276.jpg
    Edgbaston Pool 24-10-08 276.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 166
  • Edgbaston Pool 24-10-08 278.jpg
    Edgbaston Pool 24-10-08 278.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 156
  • Edgbaston Pool 24-10-08 279.jpg
    Edgbaston Pool 24-10-08 279.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 175
Lack of any spotting to round heads, and a gentle facial expression. Blue-grey backs a little darker than the Present Herring gulls, but not as dark as the LBBG's also present. Small white spots to wing tips, and raised rear end. Also, the orange-red bill spot is quite large. And they were in prestine condition...no moult.

Do others more experienced than me see the same?????

In flight, they seemed to show less white at the wing tips....though this was hard to discern due to me not having my bins with me...

Last edited:
Has everybody been beamed up by an Alien space ship.........Where is everybody?

I need confirmation please, one way or the other......surely somebody is willing to help?

They look like YL Gulls to me the colour of the wings look to dark to be Herring Gull and they have white heads.Herring Gulls this time of year have streaked heads

Has everybody been beamed up by an Alien space ship.........Where is everybody?

Patience, grasshopper! We can't all be on call 24 hours a day to post on BF!
As it happens, I would be inclined to think that your two gulls look a little dark above for Yellow-leggeds, though the exact colour tones are hard to evaulate without other gulls present for comparison, and look more like adult graellsii Lesser Black-backed Gulls to me, with the rather 'thin' bill and rounded head looking good for these also.

They look like YL Gulls to me the colour of the wings look to dark to be Herring Gull and they have white heads.Herring Gulls this time of year have streaked heads

Thanks MartinB :)

The reason for my eagerness for an answer, is that these might be first records for this site, and im not confident enough with Gulls to forward the info without confirmation of my i.d.

I guess im a little more confident now though:t:

Patience, grasshopper! We can't all be on call 24 hours a day to post on BF!
As it happens, I would be inclined to think that your two gulls look a little dark above for Yellow-leggeds, though the exact colour tones are hard to evaulate without other gulls present for comparison, and look more like adult graellsii Lesser Black-backed Gulls to me, with the rather 'thin' bill and rounded head looking good for these also.

Thanks Harry I only wish i had my bins, but it was the brightness of their heads that grabbed my attention, compared to the other Gulls...which they kept a little distance from.

Ive a pic of a LBBG nearby aswell, but it shows exstensive brown streaking on the rear of the head and neck, and the mantle is not so blue....i will try to upload it again for comparison.

Here a LBBG and a pic from the three posted earlier. Again, sorry for the impatiance....its just that ive been trying to get YL Gull on this sites list for ages:-O

Attachments

• Edgbaston Pool 24-10-08 161.jpg
    Edgbaston Pool 24-10-08 161.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 99
  • Edgbaston Pool 24-10-08 276.jpg
    Edgbaston Pool 24-10-08 276.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 93
Here a LBBG and a pic from the three posted earlier. Again, sorry for the impatiance....its just that ive been trying to get YL Gull on this sites list for ages:-O

180 plus views but two replies........

I ask a favour from the so called experienced, and Greenfinch gets more replies:t:

This is my last post on here, cos honestly....... most of you are Muppets. I hope most of you dont submit records, cos frankly...it hilarious!!

Birding caters for all experiences and all levels. Ive birded for over thirty years, and im telling you ignorant posers, that a lot of you ,do not step up to the line....

Look, i aint annoyed that you think your above everybody else. My CV overwrites anything you ever wish to acheive in conservation...

An example is, two years ago...we had in central Brum, 5 pairs of breeding Black Redstarts, today there is none. Why?

Because we gave the information over freely, on the bequest of the Wildlife trust, and during the last 2 winters, the local authority have simply brought the identified bereding sites down. Why?

Because all the hard work done by experienced Birders, was hijacked...and is continually hijacked, to paint the City in a good picture. Hes a doctor of ecology, he knows everything...and kills everything.

Hell...it got so good, that on one identified site, Bulldozers moved on whilst senior members of the wildlife trust and the local authority were present. We gave the info in good faith.....

I can name mames, and they know i can:t:

Twenty years ive spent in species protection. I can name names for setting the Hen Harrier sites alight two years ago, i know whom was shooting Goshawks whilst sitting on the nests in Worcestershire. I know whom the local eggers are and more besides...

Im no mug....i think i deserve better:t:

PS

Im just letting off steam, but i know of people going into local authoriy, reporting Badgers, only for the setts to be knocked off two days later. I aint bothered any more...Nout happens, nobody cares. Its all on record though, both with the RSPCA, the Police, and the local authority..........what an Irony with the last:C

Start me on why the RSPB gave the go ahead to fit lights on the GPO Tower in central Birmingham, where Peregrines breed, and they consequently deserted the nest....

I can go on:t:

Rant over, and post consequently moved:t:

Hi WiseOwl.

If we stick to your gulls, I would say that the only hint that they colud be YLG,s is the lack of dark markings on the head. Maybe as Harry suggest - the to dark upperparts, but a would prefer not to make any specific comment on that, due to the difficulties to judge this correct from images like this. Structurally there´s nothing, as far as I can see, that would rule out LBBG. A sett of better images would strongly be recomended!

JanJ

Wow, what a rant. WiseOwl, put your teddies back into the cot. Maybe it didn't cross your mind that sometimes birders go out birding rather than sitting on their PC's all day...

Harsh truth;

1) Your photos aren't good enough to get a positive ID, they could be YLG or more likely LBBG

2) Most birders find binoculars useful when out birding.

Get over it & make sure you keep taking your medication...

BT

Twenty years ive spent in species protection. I can name names for setting the Hen Harrier sites alight two years ago, i know whom was shooting Goshawks whilst sitting on the nests in Worcestershire. I know whom the local eggers are and more besides...

I may be a muppet, but why didn't you name the names?

I ask a favour from the so called experienced, and Greenfinch gets more replies:t:

This is my last post on here, cos honestly....... most of you are Muppets. I hope most of you dont submit records, cos frankly...it hilarious!!

Birding caters for all experiences and all levels. Ive birded for over thirty years, and im telling you ignorant posers, that a lot of you ,do not step up to the line....

Look, i aint annoyed that you think your above everybody else. My CV overwrites anything you ever wish to acheive in conservation...

An example is, two years ago...we had in central Brum, 5 pairs of breeding Black Redstarts, today there is none. Why?

Because we gave the information over freely, on the bequest of the Wildlife trust, and during the last 2 winters, the local authority have simply brought the identified bereding sites down. Why?

Because all the hard work done by experienced Birders, was hijacked...and is continually hijacked, to paint the City in a good picture. Hes a doctor of ecology, he knows everything...and kills everything.

Hell...it got so good, that on one identified site, Bulldozers moved on whilst senior members of the wildlife trust and the local authority were present. We gave the info in good faith.....

Im no mug....i think i deserve better:t:

PS

Im just letting off steam, but i know of people going into local authoriy, reporting Badgers, only for the setts to be knocked off two days later. I aint bothered any more...Nout happens, nobody cares. Its all on record though, both with the RSPCA, the Police, and the local authority..........what an Irony with the last:C

Start me on why the RSPB gave the go ahead to fit lights on the GPO Tower in central Birmingham, where Peregrines breed, and they consequently deserted the nest....

I can go on:t:

Rant over, and post consequently moved:t:

wiseowl maybe theses guys can help there very gullable http://davelandweb.com/dvd/images/muppets2/muppets2_2.jpg if not

this may help http://www.mentalhelp.net/poc/view_doc.php?type=doc&id=9646&cn=353 :t:

Last edited:

2 replies from 180 views isn't soooo bad . . . admittedly you had to wait a little while for a reply, but hey. How do you know most of those views weren't from the cookie monster or random grumpy old men like yourself?? ;)

On the quality of the pics you posted, even if a few 'actual real people' with 'half decent birding skills' had seen them, they would perhaps have been un'wise' (what's that word mean?) to comment, as indicated by others . .

(btw up to 390+ views now . . . ;) )

Last edited:
Get over it & make sure you keep taking your medication...

BT[/QUOTE]

Care in the Community clearly isn't working in Wawickshire - re-open Hatton!

Can I just ask people to be a bit more respectful on here, just in case 'Wise Owl' actually does suffer from some sort of mental illness?
That said, his attitude was a bit OTT, I will admit, and, unfortunately, this has rather overshadowed his original query regarding these gulls. I don't think they can be conclusively identified, as I have said, though I would lean strongly towards graellsii Lesser Black-backed: in the pic with one bird facing away, that bird even seems to have too much nape streaking for a Yellow-legged Gull.

. . . Plus smileys in the original post, it was 2:38 in the morning, and the 'ps' at the end indicated he knew it was a rant, and jokingly (?) suggested the post would be moved??

So ;) , needless to say. (Mostly a bit jokey anyway, to be honest, a good rant is almost something to be respected, and that WAS a good rant!)

(And 'mental illness' . . . surely it's all a continuum? . . . I thought that was an integral part of the human condition? )

Gulls . . .

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back