• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rustic or Uncertain? (1 Viewer)

Jamie D

Hi,

I am trying to get my head round sorting out the Rustic and Uncertain. I have made tentative id's of the 5 moths below based on the features listed in atropos 4 but I am not very confident. Comments etc appreciated

1) (3387) - Uncertain? - overall yellow brown. Good cross lines. Ret Stig darker and well defined

2) (3621) - ????

Coldish brown colour -> Rustic
Reasonable crosslines -> Uncertain
Stig dark & well defined -> Uncertain

3) (3748) - ???

Warm yellowy colour - Uncertain
cross lines intermediate - ????
Stig poorly defined - Rustic

4) (3905) - Rustic

cold background colour -> rustic
minimal cross lines -> rustic
stig poorly defined & blend in -> rustic

5) (6109) - ????
Warm back colour - > uncertain
minimal cross lines -> rustic
poor stigmata -> rustic

Regards,
Jamie

Attachments

• DSCN3387.jpg
    DSCN3387.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 154
  • DSCN3621.jpg
    DSCN3621.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 152
  • DSCN3748.jpg
    DSCN3748.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 140
  • DSCN3905.jpg
    DSCN3905.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 155
  • DSCN6109.jpg
    DSCN6109.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 142
J Duffie said:
Hi,

I am trying to get my head round sorting out the Rustic and Uncertain. I have made tentative id's of the 5 moths below based on the features listed in atropos 4 but I am not very confident. Comments etc appreciated

FWIW, I'd say:

1) (3387) - Uncertain
2) (3621) - Rustic
3) (3748) - Rustic
4) (3905) - Rustic
5) (6109) - Rustic

...but you really need to have a look at the hindwings as another pointer and I hate this species pair even when I've got them in the hand, so wouldn't be surprised if someone else took a different view!

Check out the hindwings and compare with Plate 40 in Skinner (p.332 in Waring et al). According to the lit The Uncertain has a noticably more fuscous hindwing. All mine have checked out as The Uncertain so far after an early flush of Vine's Rustics.

Hi,

thanks for all the help so far. Last night I got another and this time I have photographed the hind wing. As it is uniformly brownish would you agree that this is Uncertain?

Thanks,
Jamie

Attachments

• DSCN6185.jpg
    DSCN6185.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 145
  • DSCN6189.jpg
    DSCN6189.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 141
J Duffie said:
Hi,

thanks for all the help so far. Last night I got another and this time I have photographed the hind wing. As it is uniformly brownish would you agree that this is Uncertain?

Thanks,
Jamie

Hi Jamie,

I think everything points to that being definitely Uncertain!

Hi,

thanks for confirmation. To make the moths cooperate I put them to sleep with Ethyl Acetate. When they are in a tube I dab a cotton bud in the Ethyl Acetate and then stick the end in the tube for about 10 seconds making sure the moth does not touch it. I then remove it and reseal the tube until the moth stops wriggling it legs etc. I then leave it for about 30 seconds. This knocks them out for a couple of minutes so you can examine them (or photograph them without them flying off). When you have looked at them I then blow in the tube to remove the chemicals and they then take about 10 minutes to recover.

Hope that helps,
Jamie

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back