• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipits and wagtails (1 Viewer)

Stephen Dunstan

Just wondered what anybody who has this thinks of it. I saw one review on birdbooklist which said sonograms took up a decent percentage of the book. For the average Biritsh birder how much does it add to the available ID literature?

Regards,

Stephen.

Hi Stephen

Well this average birder had to look up sonograms on Google, and came up with a load of ultra-sound pictures of un-born babies which adds absolutely nothing, or am I just being thick?

Paul

It is a superb book. Very detailed with execellent plates showing birds in a variety of plumages - eg. first winter, adult fresh and worn etc. plus racial variations.

The authors seem to take a fairly conservative line with the taxonomy of the group, which I for one don't object too.

Whether you would consider it useful for the average British birder depends on what on how you define one of these individuals. However, if take bird id seriously and do the occasional trip abroad then this book would find a welcome place on the birder's book shelf.

Dave

Paul - well I thought in this context 'sonogram' = something vaguely resembling a lie detector output showing a bird song as a 'frequency graph'. If I had the wrong word or this description is no help then apologies for being thick myself.

Dave - thanks for the input. Obviously 'average British birder' is subjective but your comments are very helpful to me personally.

Stephen.

Hi Stephen

I would have thought that without a CD companion to the book ,having sonograms on their own would`nt be a lot of help.I don`t know why publishers don`t include a CD of the birds call/songs with the book it would make life a lot easier.

Regards Stevo.

Hi Stephen, I think I saw a good (as in thorough) review of this book on the fatbirder website (a link to the site is on the birdforum homepage).

JUST got my copy today, almost as I type.

Eleven pages of text, for instance, on Buff-bellied Pipit: ID info on all subspecies, range maps on all subspecies, descriptions of all plumages, geographical variation, specimen measurements, 8 sonagrams-- song strophes of each ssp, calls of each ssp. Main plate shows ten adults, summer and winter, all ssp. 12 photos in the back of the book in various plumages from various places, with i.d. notes. Plentiful text. Cannot verify accuracy, haven't read it yet.

More than you ever wanted to know about pipits and wagtails, at two dollars a species.

Stephen i always think that books like this should come with a cd instead/as well as all the sonograms as that would be more usefull for birders.
Swift

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back