• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

14 Waxwings in town (1 Viewer)

Paul Rule

These have been around Cambridge for a while now but this lunchtime was the 1st chance I've had to go check them out.

Arrived at site just before one and immediately located all 14 in a tall tree. After a while they all moved of a short way to a nearby school to feed and where they could be observed at close range.

My delight at watching these was somewhat spoiled by being challenged by a passer by as to why I "woz watching little kiddies with binoculars" despite the fact that no children could actually be seen from where I was standing. He did not seem to be convinced by my explanation, and refused my offer to have a look through the bins. After asking my name, walked of saying he was going to report me. Urban birding seems to have its own perils in this paranoid world.

Pleased to have met you yesterday at the Lee Valley Bash and am delighted you have had these good views of waxwing. I suppose that I am not too surprised that you were challenged for looking though bins near a school but that bloke should have accepted your offer to look. Many would kill to have the opportunity to see waxwings so clearly. (I would have before yesterday)

It was good to meet you too. I missed out on the Lee Valley Waxwings, so I thought I would make up for it today.

The School I was watching at has been informed of these birds (by the local bird club) and that birders with bins are likely to tun up, so hopefully I should avoid a visit from the boys in blue.

Too right Dave , such a shame that some people are so paranoid, but you must admit they do have good reason, but still a shame he didn't look as I would have yanked your bins off your neck to see them,'cos I haven't had the pleasure of seeing anything other than pictures, I hope you were able to get a shot of them, but if you are anything like me you'd not even have a camera with you, Nina P.

No Nina, I did not have my camera, and under the circumstances this was probable wise. I did get some shots of Waxwings earlier in the year at Tesco's but these are on 35mm slides and my scanner is not too good at handling these, so at the moment I cant post those.

Paul

Wow fourteen, can you send one down to Devon for me? Shame about the ignorant passer by, you shoulda asked why they were watching you and report them!!!

Andrew, Not in that part of town.

What am I offered from the south west in return for the Waxwings, Nina seems to have a few Buzzards to spare?

Paul

You have done this quite deliberately to upstage Dave and myself who saw a mere four Waxwings at Lee Valley! Seriously, 14 at once is tremendous.

As for the incident, I would have refused to give my name. If people get stroppy, I suggest calling for a police officer immediately. At least that way you can sort things out. Otherwise, your name may simply go down in an incident room book and then onto a computer, and you have no idea - or control - over how long it is kept or what use is made of it.

No upstaging intended Peter, just could'nt resist the temptation to see these. I think the guys idea was to report me to the school, but the school are aware of the birds, and have been told of likely visits by birders by a member of Cambridge Bird Club.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back