• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Podiceps Grebe? (1 Viewer)

Michael W

Mountain Chickadee
I was at Hood River, Oregon, for part of this weekend and on Saturday, my family and I took a walk over at Mosier (a few more miles inland). The walk went up quite a ways into an old tunnel.

At a lookout point, I saw a few ducks on the water far below. There were 3 Lesser Scaups and the mystery bird, which I think may be a Horned Grebe. Sibley doesn't show Horned Grebes as being where I was, though.

The bird appears to have a white face and front-of-the-neck, which would suggest Horned Grebe, instead of Eared.

Any ideas?

I've attached both the 100% and 200% pictures. Both were cropped heavily (you could barely see the bird in the original).

Thanks!
Michael

Attachments

• 167_6702.JPG
    167_6702.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 266
  • 167_6702_2.jpg
    167_6702_2.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 267
Although initially I thought it was a gull, after blowing it up, I agree that it is a Horned Grebe. At least it appears that way from this distance.

The range maps on the big Sibley are a bit sketchy. If you look at the more recent western pocket Sibley, and other guides, they show Horneds pushing inland a bit more.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back